Sen. Mitch McConnell Filibusters His Own Bill; Another first in politics this year….
Sen. Mitch McConnell Filibusters His Own Bill; Claire Macaskells reaction is priceless….
“whip lash” she called it before she could bring herself to push away hot mic…This says it all in one swoop about how our gov works today…never for the actual reason…all intangibles and never about the people first….
Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) may have made United States Senate history today when he beat his filibustered his own bill on allowing the president to increase the debt ceiling on his own.
The bill, which would have taken the debt ceiling gun away from the head of the U.S. economy by requiring a two-thirds majority to override a presidential increase to the debt ceiling, was McConnell’s idea, but when Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid agreed with McConnell’s request for a vote on the bill Thursday afternoon, McConnell objected. Apparently, McConnell believed that Democrats wouldn’t allow the president to have such power.
“What we have here is a case of Republicans here in the Senate once again not taking yes for an answer. This morning the Republican leader asked consent to have a vote on this proposal, just now I told everyone we were willing to have that vote –up or down vote. Now the Republican leader objects to his own idea. So I guess we have a filibuster of his own bill, so I object,” Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) said.
- Mitch McConnell Makes Congressional History: He Filibusters Himself (No Joke) (themoderatevoice.com)
- Democrats watch in awe as McConnell filibusters himself (rawstory.com)
- Mitch McConnell Filibusters His Own Bill (alan.com)
- Mitch McConnell is so addicted to the filibuster that he just filibustered his own bill (freakoutnation.com)
- McConnell Filibusters His Own Bill To Lift Debt Ceiling (tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com)
- Filibusterbating: Watch Mitch McConnell Filibuster His Own Bill (mediaite.com)
- Mitch McConnell filibusters his own debt ceiling proposal (dailykos.com)
- McConnell Filibusters Own Proposal (drudge.com)