Tell Congress: Vote Now
This effort launched in the days after the election with the goal of providing ordinary citizens the tools to make their voices heard in the fight to end the Bush tax cuts for the richest 2%. In just a few short weeks you’ve answered the call by organizing grassroots events, protesting outside congressional offices, and making thousands of calls to your elected officials.
While your voices have made a difference, some members of Congress are still holding the middle class hostage in order to give tax cuts to the wealthiest Americans. Congress has until December 31st to act, or middle-class families will see their taxes increase by an average of $2,200 dollars—just one of many negative consequences of going over the so-called fiscal cliff. It’s time for Congress to get serious about our economic future.
With just 20 days left until the deadline, our efforts are more important than ever. Will you demand action from Congress?
Since the election, Republican leadership has repeatedly refused to let the House of Representatives vote on the Middle Class Tax Cut Act, which would extend tax cuts for 98% of Americans and 97% of small businesses. The Senate has already passed the bill and President Obama has pledged to sign it as soon as it comes to his desk.
Last week, Democrats introduced a discharge petition that would force Congress to take action and vote on the bill. We need 218 petition-signers to force action in the House, and so far we have 178. If we get 40 more representatives to sign the discharge petition, the House will vote on extending tax cuts for the middle class.
That’s where The Action comes in. Contacting your representatives in Congress is easy and it makes a difference. Take a few minutes to tell members of Congress to sign the petition, then leave a comment to tell us how it went.
- Speaker of the House John Boehner is refusing to allow a vote to maintain tax cuts for those earning less than $250,000; If 218 Congress members sign a discharge petition, they will force the vote. (sunsetdaily.wordpress.com)
- Stand with Nancy Pelosi: Demand Boehner Hold a Vote on Middle Class Tax Cuts (sunsetdaily.wordpress.com)
- Democrats’ discharge petition gaining (dailykos.com)
- Why The GOP Is Holding Middle Class Tax Cuts Hostage (alternet.org)
- House Democrats file discharge petition on middle class tax cuts (dailykos.com)
- Call Your Member Of Congress And Say “Discharge Petition” (ourfuture.org)
- GOP Congressman Won’t Extend Middle Class Tax Cuts To Avoid Giving ‘Control’ To Democrats (nationofchange.org)
- Pelosi to Boehner: Put up or shut up (dailykos.com)