President Obama nominating John Kerry to be next secretary of state
The White House planned to add the announcement to the president’s schedule, said the officials, who demanded anonymity to preempt the formal announcements.
Obama had been holding Kerry’s nomination in the hope of announcing a team of national security appointments, but continued issues with final nominees for secretary of defense and CIA director prompted him to proceed with Kerry’s solo nomination, said one of the officials.
The path to Kerry’s nomination was cleared last week, when United Nations Ambassador Susan Rice announced that she was withdrawing her name from consideration for secretary of state.
Senate Republicans led by Obama’s 2008 opponent, John McCain of Arizona, and Lindsey Graham of South Carolina, had declared their opposition to Rice’s possible appointment as the nation’s chief diplomat, saying she had misled them about the reasons for the Sept. 11 attack on the US consulate in Benghazi, Libya.
Rice tried to save her nomination but support for Rice in Congress eroded as it built for Kerry.
The Massachusetts Democrat is a Navy veteran of the Vietnam War, chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, and has been an unofficial administration emissary to world hotspots from the Horn of Africa to Pakistan.
Kerry kept his mouth shut, telling a Globe reporter last Friday as he arrived back in Boston from Washington: “When the time is right, you’ll know what’s going on and so will I.”
- John Kerry in line for secretary of state as Rice withdrawal opens the door (guardian.co.uk)
- Source: Obama to nominate Kerry for secretary of state (news.blogs.cnn.com)
- John Kerry Becomes Secretary of State Frontrunner (on.aol.com)
- Report: Kerry To Be Nominated For Secretary Of State (huffingtonpost.com)
- On Foreign Policy, Kerry is Obama’s Good Soldier (blackamericaweb.com)
- Bill Kristol: John Kerry hasn’t supported enough wars to be secretary of state (rawstory.com)
- Report: John Kerry Being Considered For Defense Secretary (boston.cbslocal.com)
- McCain Called John Kerry ‘Mr. Secretary’ (theatlanticwire.com)
- Kerry, John Kerry: Defense Secretary (zerohedge.com)
- Swift Vote Vets Promise to Regroup if John Kerry Is Nominated as Secretary of Defense (Video) (thegatewaypundit.com)