Gun Safety Update: On Friday, the NRA finally broke its silence: it proposed putting more guns into schools to prevent shootings in the future.
|Tell the NRA: Guns in Schools Won’t Work!|
After the tragedy in Newtown, America put its foot down: we must find a way to stop mass shootings in the future. On Friday, December 21st, the National Rifle Association proposed a solution: to put people with guns in every school in America.
Here’s the thing: putting more people with guns in schools doesn’t prevent mass gun violence. Columbine High School, Virginia Tech, and Fort Hood military post all had armed guards or police forces present at their shootings — yet they were unable to prevent the mass murders that occurred there.
The only thing that increasing gun presence on campuses will do is contribute to the American culture of violence that has already led to 62 mass shootings in the last three decades.
After shootings in the United Kingdom and Australia, those governments cracked down on gun control and significantly decreased gun violence. If the NRA really wants to keep Americans safe, why have they continuously blocked efforts to do the same?
- ARMED GUARD: Iowa Schools Not Taking Advice From NRA (whotv.com)
- Reaction to NRA armed guards plan mixed (abcactionnews.com)
- Why The NRA’s ‘A Gun In Every School’ Plan Won’t Work (upworthy.com)
- NRA Calls For Armed Police Officer In Every School (kake.com)
- THE NUTS COME OUT: NRA Responds To School Shooting (kaystreet.wordpress.com)
- Democrats Slam NRA’s Response To School Shooting (wnyc.org)
- NRA calls for more guns after school massacre (worldbulletin.net)
- NRA calls for armed police in every school (king5.com)
- NRA wants armed guards in schools (timesfreepress.com)
- Watch: NRA Breaks Silence Following Newtown School Shooting (abcnews.go.com)