I need 30 more signatures Please…so I can get this book; You can too because The Arctic Needs a Hero
America’s Arctic is an amazing treasure, home to caribou and polar bears. But it’s facing threats from climate change and oil drilling. I signed a petition to protect it — you should too!
Check it out: http://action.sierraclub.org/ArcticPetition
In his State of the Union speech, President Obama committed to acting on climate change for the sake of our future generations. His first term saw record temperatures, monstrous wildfires, and unparalleled super storms. Now — on the 24th anniversary of the Exxon Valdez oil spill — is the time for all of us to act.
Climate disruption is a double-whammy for America’s Arctic. It’s already warming at twice the pace of the rest of the Earth. Oil and gas drilling there speeds climate change when these dirty fuels are burned.
In President Obama’s first term, we managed to beat back Shell Oil‘s attempts to drill in the Polar Bear Seas, and President Obama protected 11 million acres of Arctic wild lands in western Alaska. Together, we’ve accomplished a lot for America’s Arctic over the last year. But there’s more to do.
President Obama must act now to attack climate change head-on by saying no to offshore drilling in the Polar Bear Seas and yes to permanently protecting the important coastal plain of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.
America’s Arctic is one of our last truly wild places, home to polar bears, caribou and whales, as well as Alaskan Natives who rely on places like the coastal plain and the Polar Bear Seas for their way of life. Oil drilling and climate disruption threaten to change all of this forever — but we can do something about it.
Sign up to be an Arctic Hero and pledge to collect at least 30 signatures for the Arctic Refuge by April 30. We’ll send you a copy of the book On Arctic Ground, which portrays the amazing 11 million acres of Arctic land you helped protect earlier this year.
You can collect signatures face-to-face or online through Facebook, Twitter and email. We’ll give you everything you need to be successful: petitions, fact sheets, tips — and the opportunity to ask policy experts and organizers your questions.
Thank you for everything you do for our wild places,
- Good Job Everyone! Shell Pulls Out of Arctic Drilling This Summer! And, Its because of us! (sunsetdaily.wordpress.com)
- Administration won’t trade Arctic National Wildlife Refuge drilling for clean energy fund. (washingtonpost.com)
- Kumi Naidoo: Shell’s Arctic Failure Is Obama’s Chance to Act (huffingtonpost.com)
- US gets tough on Arctic oil drilling (newscientist.com)
- We don’t want the fate of native Americans: Arctic people (thehindu.com)
- Arctic oil drilling needs better federal regulation (+video) (csmonitor.com)
- Cindy Shogan: President Obama Should Prioritize Protecting the Arctic as Part of His Climate Legacy (huffingtonpost.com)
- Arctic Sea Ice Cracking Thing (scienceblogs.com)
- Cindy Shogan: Shell’s failed drilling program proves that no oil company is ready to drill in the Arctic (yubanet.com)
- Shell executive responsible for Arctic campaign to step down (telegraph.co.uk)