Help build a new wave of resistance to Keystone XL
Our action in Chicago on its own won’t build enough pressure to convince the President to reject KXL — but it’s the opening salvo of the Pledge of Resistance, which could be a game-changer for our fight against climate change. More than 62,000 people have committed to risk arrest if necessary to stop the “game over for the climate” Keystone XL pipeline.
Building the pledge from 22 brave souls in Chicago, to tens of thousands of people across the country, is a massive organizing effort. We need your help to make it happen.
Astonishingly, even as our atmosphere just reached a C02 concentration of 400 ppm for the first time in human history, the President is reportedly more concerned with public opinion “dial tests” than showing the leadership needed to protect us.2
It’s clear: It’s up to the president to lead. And he may not act, unless we make him.
To scale up the Pledge of Resistance, CREDO, Rainforest Action Network and the Other 98% are going big: We’re holding weekend-long organizer trainings in 25 cities in late June and July, to train committed, every-day activists, to plan and organize peaceful, dignified civil disobedience actions where they live, just like the action on Monday in Chicago.
If we have the resources, we can train activists to organize hundreds of actions across the country, and be ready to stage one of the biggest bursts of civil disobedience in modern American history when the State Department releases its Determination of National Interest on Keystone XL as expected this fall.
The threat of massive civil disobedience can be a game-changer and convince President Obama that it’s not worth caving to the oil industry and approving Keystone XL. But only if we can make it big enough to send a message that he and his advisers cannot ignore science.
Thanks for helping escalate the fight to oppose Keystone XL.
- Keystone XL denial won’t block oil sands: ambassador (business.financialpost.com)
- 22 Arrested in Chicago Urging President Obama to Reject Keystone XL (ecowatch.com)
- “I Voted For Change”: Over 20 Arrested as KXL Protests Target Obama (commondreams.org)
- Anti-Keystone civil disobedience coming to Chicago Monday (sfgate.com)
- Training for the Keystone XL Pledge of Resistance (understory.ran.org)
- 22 Former Obama Campaign Staff And Donors Arrested Protesting Keystone XL (thinkprogress.org.feedsportal.com)
- XL Pipeline: A Clear and Present Danger! (while-you-were-sleeping.com)
- The Chicago 22: Arrested for Telling Obama to Stop Keystone XL (understory.ran.org)
- FOCUS | Al Gore: “Obama Must Veto ‘Atrocity’ of Keystone XL Pipeline” (readersupportednews.org)
- Two Big Announcemements on the KXL Pledge of Resistance (understory.ran.org)