Updates from July, 2013 Toggle Comment Threads | Keyboard Shortcuts
I really hope he is NOT sizing us up for an approval but I doubt that will happen anyway till next year in 14…
“I meant what I said; I’m going to evaluate this based on whether or not this is going to significantly contribute to carbon in our atmosphere.”
“That oil is going to be piped down to the Gulf to be sold on the world oil markets, so it does not bring down gas prices here in the United States.”
“Putting all your eggs in the basket of an oil pipeline that may only create about 50 permanent jobs … isn’t a jobs plan.”
These comments are the result of years of relentless organizing by folks across the country (and the world) to put pressure on the President. More than 1400 people have been arrested, including some last week, and tens of thousands more have taken to the streets in protests against the pipeline.
In fact, since March, President Obama and his closest advisers have been met by #noKXL protests at 30 different events — from Washington, DC to Warrensburg, Missouri to Cape Town, South Africa. Each time the message is simple: keeping your promises on climate change means standing up to the tar sands and stopping Keystone XL.
To see updates from all the Rapid Response Team events, you can click here: organizing-for-our-future.tumblr.com — these folks deserve thanks for bringing the message right to the President and his team.
And it looks like the message might be getting through. While he is still giving himself some wiggle room to approve the pipeline (and Big Oil continues to beat their chest and insist it *will* be approved), there is far, far less wiggle room now than there was even a week or two ago. If he’s at all honest about his climate test, there is no way he can approve the pipeline.
Every independent analysis of the pipeline — unlike the State Department‘s big oil-tainted assessment — has reached the obvious conclusion that building an 830,000 barrel per day pipeline carrying the world’s dirtiest oil will be bad for the climate. Even if Canada said they wanted to clean up their mess, it wouldn’t be enough: the government of Alberta enforces its environmental laws less than 1% of the time, meaning that the only climate-safe tar sands is the stuff that stays in the ground.
When I first read President Obama’s statements about Keystone in his climate address last month, I didn’t know what to think. On the one hand, nothing changed: he gave himself room to OK the pipeline, and we need to keep pushing. But on the other, it’s stunning progress.
President Obama is talking openly about rejecting Keystone XL. Two years ago, no one thought that could happen, and it only is because we pushed, and continue to push.
Next week Bill McKibben and the rest of the 350.org Keystone team will be in touch with ideas for the next leg of this fight — but for now, I think it’s worth just appreciating how far we’ve come. We’ve had plenty of setbacks — such as the fast-tracking of the Southern segment of the pipeline — but together we’re showing how to fight, and maybe, possibly, against hope, win something big.
Let’s keep going,
P.S. There will be a full report back from the Summer Heat wave of mass actions against fossil fuels coming next week after all the actions wrap up, but for now I’ll let the pictures do the talking. All this happened last weekend in (from top left) Massachusetts, the Columbia River, Ohio, Utah and Washington DC:
- Corruption is built into State Department environmental assessment of Keystone XL pipeline (dailykos.com)
- Tell President Obama: “Keep Promise and Reject Keystone XL Pipeline” (pbdemocrats.wordpress.com)
- Obama has facts wrong on Keystone XL: TransCanada (sunnewsnetwork.ca)
- Barack Obama expresses reservations about Keystone XL pipeline project (guardian.co.uk)
- Environmentalists Protest Keystone XL Pipeline, Demand Action in Massive March on the National Mall (theblaze.com)
- Keystone XL protest planned in Nebraska (upi.com)
- Robert Kennedy, Jr., Arrested With Other Keystone Pipeline Protesters Tying Themselves to the White House Gate (theblaze.com)
- Exxon Among Targets for Divestiture in Climate Push (bloomberg.com)
- Obama criticizes pro-Keystone pipeline jobs, gas price claims (nalert.blogspot.com)
- Barack Obama expresses reservations about Keystone XL pipeline project (rawstory.com)
The 2014 midterm election cycle has not even officially started yet and already here’s a taste of corporate and special interest election spending according to FEC filings:
- Lockheed Martin: $870,500
- American Bankers Association: $861,000
- Goldman Sachs: $530,500
- Altria (Philip Morris‘s parent co.): $475,215
- Exxon Mobil: $344,500
- JP Morgan Chase: $268,000
- NRA: $178,000
We must amend the Constitution and overturn the effects of Citizens United and the other court cases that have opened the floodgates of unlimited corporate and special interest cash. This is not easy work and we need all the help we can get.
- Koch Industries PAC spending record cash (publicintegrity.org)
- Koch Industries PAC bolts to fast start in 2013 (publicintegrity.org)
- The Koch Brothers’ PAC Is Off To Its Fastest Start Ever In A Federal Election Cycle (businessinsider.com)
- No Summer Vacation For The Koch Brothers And Their Political Agenda (mintpressnews.com)
- Higher Cigarette Prices Help Boost Altria 2Q Earnings (dailyfinance.com)
- Did FEC collude with IRS to target conservatives? (powerlineblog.com)
- E-mails Suggest Collusion Between FEC, IRS to Target Conservative Groups (tomfernandez28.com)
- A Board Member Bought 1,000 Shares of Philip Morris International Inc. (PM) (insidermonkey.com)
- Fox Legal Analyst: Obama Staffer May Have Violated FEC Regs by ‘Coordinating’ Attacks in Anti-Romney Ads (theblaze.com)
- Al Sharpton’s 2004 presidential campaign is still in debt (theblaze.com)
Tomorrow, we release another great episode of “In The Fight.” Here’s a little sneak peak of what you can expect: 4th Brigade Combat Team, 101 ABN DIV (RCP7) detonates an IED, United States Air Force Nurse Maj. Sandra Nester speak about her rewarding career and United States Marine Corps trains to escape a helicopter water crash.
- Pentagon mulling separate combat training for men, women (washingtontimes.com)
- Downloads Warfighting book (edcabeqo.wordpress.com)
- Joe L.Vines Named Army and Navy Academy Upper School Commandant (armyandnavyacademy.org)
- Military caregivers making a difference (dvidshub.net)
- ‘Real News From The Blaze’ Marine Corps Law Enforcement on the Way? (theblaze.com)
- DEALS #@ United States Marine Corps Red Beach Towel USMC 60 x 30 (ipvf1g2x.wordpress.com)
- A Person To Be Proud OF (nicolestefko.wordpress.com)
- Russell Drake: proprietor of the Emin Boztepe Martial Arts System (russelldrake4.wordpress.com)
- ONLINE %@ United States Marine Corps Red Beach Towel USMC 30′x60′ – - USMC towel (ipvf1g2x.wordpress.com)
- Marine to be buried Wednesday (newsherald.com)
Justice for Thomas
We the undersigned demand a full investigation into the killing of an innocent blind and partially deaf little pup named Thomas.
WHY was this pup killed?
His Foster carers had only dropped him off at the shelter to have an Xray on his broken leg which had been healing nicely in the Foster carer’s care.
WHY was this pup diagnosed with separation anxiety, and why is this a reason to put down this pup?
We want answers over Thomas’ killing.
He had a Foster family willing to keep him in their loving care.
It is appearing to be clear that the RSPCA does not take death as a last resort, but as a first resort.
The RSPCA Yagoona Shelter obviously like to kill the animals… not do what they can to save and rehome them!
PLEASE kindly read and share.
All the information on what happened and why Thomas was killed is in the link story>>
PLEASE JOIN and share the facebook group>>
JUSTICE FOR THOMAS - https://www.facebook.com/groups/117637005078147/
Contact info for the RSPCA Yagoona Shelter.
201 Rookwood Road Yagoona NSW Australia 2199
Phone: (02) 9770 7555
Fax: (02) 9770 7577
PRO BONO ANIMAL LAWYERS IN NSW AUSTRALIA.
VOICELESS - https://www.voiceless.org.au/
Contact link :
For general enquiries:firstname.lastname@example.org
ph: 02 9357 0723
fax: 02 9357 0711
PRO BONO ANIMAL LAW SERVICE
Contact link: Pro Bono Animal Law Service (PALS).
If you have any questions about these projects,
please contact Sydney office on (02) 9114 1793.
Call – 02 9114 1793
Fax- 02 9114 1792
- Hunt for gang after railway robbery (bigpondnews.com)
- EDL Northampton division admin admits cruelty to seven ponies seized by the RSPCA. (edlcriminals.com)
- Couple forced to flee UK after false RSPCA claim (telegraph.co.uk)
- RSPCA offers an olive branch to country set over fox hunting ban (express.co.uk)
- RSPCA Queensland appoints first chief digital officer (mumbrella.com.au)
- RSPCAs Crazy Cat Clearance (camillegower.wordpress.com)
- Exposed: RSPCA drills into cops’ databases, harvests private info (go.theregister.com)
- The RSPCA made US feel like criminals (telegraph.co.uk)
Hey Rand (Paul): NJ has 8 Military Bases compared to your two…what is wrong with you? You are flailing vs christie…and, u r coming off very stupid….
Your (Rand Paul) bacon comments were idiotic and juvenile…They are just a mere poke at his (Christies) weight or his eating habit. Enough with the fat jokes. What’s a serious problem is how much rand Paul lies every day…also…he aint his father from a speaking POV…he sucks at public speaking but then again..He sucks at it because he lies about shit one minute before a press release gets released 18 minutes later, to cover up that lie…Rand is looking like an amateur….he needs to stop with the hypocrisy and the last thing he should do is compare NJ and KY…for every dollar the GOV. spends on KY, they make or lose 1.77 per dollar and NJ…makes / spends 77 cents on any dollar amount spent on that state..sandy and all too…NJ spends way less gov money than KY….by a lot per dollar amount too….Rand paul needs to shut the hell up about NJ….Rand paul needs to worry about his spending in his state….paul needs to lower that amount every year. Especially, since he boasts about not wanting any help from anyone, let alone this government….
Article if from Huff Post:
Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) fired the latest shot on Tuesday in an escalating feud with Chris Christie, calling the New Jersey Governor the “king of bacon,” a reference to what Paul believes is a poor record on government spending.
The comment came during an interview with CNN’s Wolf Blitzer, during which Paul accused Christie of sucking up government funds for hurricane relief aid without pushing for offsets to expenditures like foreign aid. Paul also suggested that Christie was hurting the GOP by continuing to criticize Paul’s positions on national security:
It’s not helping the party for him to pick a war with me. It’s a big mistake. It’s not very smart. And it’s not a good way to grow the party. Why would he want to pick a fight with the one guy who has a chance to grow the party by appealing to the youth and appealing to people who would like to see a more moderate and less aggressive foreign policy?
Paul’s argument stems from a press conference earlier on Tuesday, during which Christie hit Paul for what he characterized as hypocrisy on the topic of Hurricane Sandy aid, and government spending more broadly:
I find it interesting that Sen. Paul is accusing us of having a “Gimme, gimme, gimme” attitude toward federal spending when in fact New Jersey is a donor state and we get 61 cents back on every dollar we send to Washington. Interestingly, Kentucky gets $1.51 on every dollar they send to Washington.
Paul brushed off that suggestion during his interview with Blitzer, pointing to military bases on Kentucky soil as the primary recipient of federal funds.
“What does he want to do, shut down military bases in Kentucky?” Paul asked.
Tensions between the two Republicans — both of whom are viewed as likely candidates for president in 2016 — have been building for several months. In January, Paul accused Christie of “throwing a tantrum” over a Hurricane Sandy relief package, which Paul voted against. Christie was a vocal critic at the time of Congress’s slowness in doling out relief funds.
Tensions roiled again earlier this month when, during an appearance at the Aspen Institute, Christie attacked Paul’s brand of libertarianism, which he suggested was damaging to national security. Christie accused Republicans such as Paul of engaging in “esoteric debates” over foreign policy rather than working to prevent “the next attack that comes that kills thousands of Americans.” Paul is a vocal opponent of NSA surveillance, a stance Christie characterized as “dangerous.”
Paul hit back on Monday, suggesting that it was actually Christie who was unserious about national defense. He echoed that sentiment during his interview with Blitzer Tuesday night, excoriating Christie for being “on the wrong side of history.”
“I don’t think the Bill of Rights is esoteric. I don’t think the Fourth Amendment is esoteric,” Paul said. “I think the idea that we should have a right to privacy is not esoteric to a lot of people in this country.”
When asked if the heated back-and-forth was a preview of a 2016 primary contest, Paul’s response was noncommittal.
- Paul: Christie is the ‘king of bacon’ on government spending (politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com)
- The Rand Paul-Chris Christie Fight Is Getting Nasty (businessinsider.com)
- Rand Paul: Chris Christie ‘is the king of bacon’ (rawstory.com)
- Rand Paul Keeps Chris Christie Feud Alive (abcnews.go.com)
- Sen. Rand Paul: ‘Sad and cheap’ for N.J. Gov. Chris Christie to use ‘cloak’ of 9/11 victims (washingtontimes.com)
- Rand Paul Criticizes Christie, King Over Sandy Spending – Talk Radio News Service (talkradionews.com)
- Chris Christie Exploits 9/11 to Attack Rand Paul and Libertarians (conservativeread.com)
- (Chris) Christie vs. (Rand) Paul…ouch…listen to rand’s dig Citing Sandy aid, Rand Paul fires back at Christie (sunsetdaily.wordpress.com)
- Christie – Paul’s KY Likes Big Government (2016elephantrace.wordpress.com)
- Chris Christie calls Rand Paul another ‘Washington politician’ (nj.com)
MOTHER JONES: Inside Groundswell: Read the Memos of the New Right-Wing Strategy Group Planning a “30 Front War”
NEW RULES: iF YOU ARE GONNA CLAIM TO BE A FREDERICK DOUGLAS REPUBLICAN TO DIVERT ANY ATTENTION AWAY FROM BEING LABELED AS A RACIEST AND TEA PARTY ACTIVIST, LEARN HOW TO SPELL THE TWO WORDS…DOUGLAS AND FREDERICK……
Ginni Thomas, Allen West, and a crew of conservative activists and journalists have formed a hush-hush coalition to battle progressives—and Karl Rove.
From left: Frank Gaffney; Ginni Thomas; Allen West
Believing they are losing the messaging war with progressives, a group of prominent conservatives in Washington—including the wife of Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas and journalists from Breitbart News and the Washington Examiner—has been meeting privately since early this year to concoct talking points, coordinate messaging, and hatch plans for “a 30 front war seeking to fundamentally transform the nation,” according to documents obtained byMother Jones.
Dubbed Groundswell, this coalition convenes weekly in the offices of Judicial Watch, the conservative legal watchdog group. During these hush-hush sessions and through a Google group, the members of Groundswell—including aides to congressional Republicans—cook up battle plans for their ongoing fights against the Obama administration, congressional Democrats, progressive outfits, and the Republican establishment and “clueless” GOP congressional leaders. They devise strategies for killing immigration reform, hyping the Benghazi controversy, and countering the impression that the GOP exploits racism. And the Groundswell gang is mounting a behind-the-scenes organized effort to eradicate the outsize influence of GOP über-strategist/pundit Karl Rove within Republican and conservative ranks. (For more on Groundswell’s “two front war” against Rove—a major clash on the right—click here.)
One of the influential conservatives guiding the group is Virginia “Ginni” Thomas, a columnist for the Daily Caller and a tea party consultant and lobbyist. Other Groundswell members include John Bolton, the former UN ambassador; Frank Gaffney, the president of the Center for Security Policy; Ken Blackwell and Jerry Boykin of the Family Research Council; Tom Fitton, the president of Judicial Watch; Gayle Trotter, a fellow at the Independent Women’s Forum; Catherine Engelbrecht and Anita MonCrief of True the Vote; Allen West, the former GOP House member; Sue Myrick, also a former House GOPer; Diana Banister of the influential Shirley and Banister PR firm; and Max Pappas, a top aide to Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas).
Among the conveners listed in an invitation to a May 8 meeting of Groundswell were Stephen Bannon, executive chairman of Breitbart News Network; Dan Bongino, a former Secret Service agent who resoundingly lost a Maryland Senate race last year (and is now running for a House seat); Leonard Leo, executive vice president of the Federalist Society; Sandy Rios, a Fox News contributor; Lori Roman, a former executive director of the American Legislative Exchange Council; and Austin Ruse, the head of the Catholic Family and Human Rights Institute. Conservative journalists and commentators participating in Groundswell have included Breitbart News reporters Matthew Boyle and Mike Flynn, Washington Examinerexecutive editor Mark Tapscott, and National Review contributor Michael James Barton.
MEET THE PARTICIPANTS IN GROUNDSWELL
Wife of Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas and maker of at least one unsolicited early morning phone call.(Photo: Rex Curry/Zuma)
Groundswell has collaborated with conservative GOPers on Capitol Hill, including Sens. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.) and Cruz and Rep. Jim Bridenstine (R-Okla.), a leading tea partier. At its weekly meetings, the group aims to strengthen the right’s messaging by crafting Twitter hashtags; plotting strategy on in-the-headlines issues such as voter ID, immigration reform, and the sequester; promoting politically useful scandals; and developing “action items.”
A certain amount of secrecy cloaks Groundswell’s efforts. Though members have been encouraged to zap out tweets with a #GSW hashtag, a message circulated to members of its Google group noted that the role of certain advocates should be kept “off of the Google group for OPSEC [operational security] reasons.” This “will avoid any potential for bad press for someone if a communication item is leaked,” the message explained. (The Groundswell documents were provided to Mother Jones by a source who had access to its Google group page and who has asked not to be identified.)
Washington is full of coalitions that meet to coordinate messaging and strategy. For two decades, conservative strategist Grover Norquist, who heads Americans for Tax Reform, has held his now-famous Wednesday morning meetings for a broad spectrum of Republicans, including conservatives opposed to gay rights and abortion rights and those who favor them, as well as GOPers on different sides of the immigration reform debate. Groundswell, which meets at the same time as Norquist’s group, appears to be a more ideologically pure version of the Norquist confab, and its emergence—given the prominent role of Ginni Thomas and the participation of journalists—prompts several intriguing questions.
Critics have contended that Thomas’ work as a lobbyist opposing Obamacare posed a conflict of interest for her husband, who would rule on the constitutionality of the health care reform initiative. (Clarence Thomas joined the Supreme Court minority that favored striking down the law.) And Common Cause has maintained that Justice Thomas had a conflict of interest when he participated in the Citizens United case because his wife at the time was running a conservative nonprofit fighting the “tyranny” of President Barack Obama that would benefit from removing limits on such groups’ spending and fundraising. With her involvement in Groundswell—which zeroes in on contentious issues that come before the high court, including voting rights, abortion, and gay marriage—Ginni Thomas continues to be intricately associated with matters on which her husband may have to render a decision. Ginni Thomas did not respond to requests for comment.
- Facing a ‘Groundswell’ (maddowblog.msnbc.com)
- New right-wing group called Groundswell is targeting not just liberals, but GOP strategist Karl Rove, too (blogs.e-rockford.com)
- Inside Groundswell: Read the Memos of the New Right-Wing Strategy Group Planning a “30 Front War” (motherjones.com)
- Secret Right-Wing Group “Groundswell” Seeks To Go “Old Testament,” Planning A “30 Front War” (queerty.com)
- Read the Memos of the New Right-Wing Strategy Group Planning a “30 Front War” (readersupportednews.org)
- BlackBerry Support Community Submits Groundswell Entries (helpblog.blackberry.com)
- Groundswell: A Secret Tape Reveals How It Lobbied Boehner and Issa on Benghazi (motherjones.com)
- Open Thread: Another “Massive” GOP Swelling (balloon-juice.com)
- Groundswell: A Secret Tape Reveals How It Lobbied Boehner and Issa on Benghazi | Mother Jones (tribuneofthepeople.com)
- Karl Rove: Biography and Political Career (politics.answers.com)
woo fucking hoo!
Hell..I may end up liking this guy’s policies if he gets anything done….grand bargains….thats what hes got for now but man…is that a serious blow to the keystone pipeline farce or what?
PS: I think I am glad (Bradley) mannig got aquitted of those larger charges…not sure what the lesser ones entail for him but it sounds good on surface….and yep…another amazing speech by the pres….
- TransCanada sticks by its numbers after Obama challenges Keystone XL job estimates (calgaryherald.com)
- Nothing certain, of course, but President Obama again hints Keystone XL pipeline could be rejected (dailykos.com)
- President Obama Ruptures John Boehner’s Pipeline of Keystone XL Lies (politicususa.com)
- New Beer Lawsuit Could Spell Trouble For Keystone XL Pipeline (cleantechnica.com)
- Obama: Keystone XL Pipeline Proponents’ Claims About Jobs and Gas Prices Are Bullshit (bradblog.com)
- Obama points out economic downsides of Keystone XL (grist.org)
- President Obama debunks claims that Keystone XL is a job creator (examiner.com)
- Obama highlights Keystone XL job claims as farcical (voicerussia.com)
- ‘Tar Sands Timmy’ – You say you want a pipeline? (arktimes.com)
- The Keystone XL Pipeline “Will Create Jobs”? The Endangerment of the Ogallala Aquifer (rinf.com)
He’s seems cool…(Bill De Blasio)….Lets see if we can discuss some issues relating to NYC…less than 6 weeks till this primary election..and cool…the show (Morning Joe) is having another mayorial candidate on tomorrows show…bill thompson…maybe Ill like him too…lol…but I think I like this de blasio guy…he spoke against stop n frisk in a cool way…I had no idea these people cared and thats because of weiner….i cannot believe we have not talked about one thing relating to NYC…it was shell shocking to hear about real issues today….wow…maybe my brain will stop hurting like its been over hearing about weiners weiner……..
- Morning Joe (sunsetdaily.wordpress.com)
- NYC Poll: De Blasio 21%; Thompson 20% (jpupdates.com)
- Andrew Marantz: Chirlane McCray, prospective First Lady of New York City. (newyorker.com)
- NYC’s De Blasio Threatens to Pull JFK Airport Slot From Saudi Arabian Airlines for Blocking Israelis From Flights (algemeiner.com)
- Harry Belafonte endorses Public Advocate Bill de Blasio for mayor (nydailynews.com)
- NYC’s De Blasio Threatens to Pull JFK Airport Slot From Saudi Arabian Airlines for Blocking Israelis From Flights (mpidirect.com)
- Weiner plummets to fourth place in NYC mayor’s race: poll (reuters.com)
- Weiner falls to 4th in new NYC mayoral poll (news.yahoo.com)
- Poll: Majority of NYC Democratic voters say Weiner should drop out (cbsnews.com)
- Bill de Blasio Targets the Hipster Vote (timesunion.com)
That too but its the annual
The Taiji Dolphin Hunt
WOO HOO…..It’s that time of the year again….Time to capture dolphins so they can be ensalved as entertainment in the many resorts where u can watch a dolphin jump through a hoop..or, you can ride them across a pool….or, they will be killed made into dolphin meat…..I saw this in real time 4 years ago and its haunted me ever since that day…its a morbid and gross and ridiculous thing to do to anything alive…..plus..its one of the odd ways where the japanese culture just shows its hatred towards phish…why do they feel so superior to phish..and I dont mean the band so lets be real about it…they eat live blow fish…they created eating raw fish in general let alone as a delicacy…they eat shark fins and soup with it in it…(they kill an entire shark to get a fin…)…they kill whales (sea Shepard) for no reasons but to gain its skin or oil from it and there are 98 other ways to deal with getting those resources….that culture is so odd towards fish….
To: Mayor of Taiji, Prime Minister of Japan, Japanese Minister of Fisheries, Emperor of Japan
The slaughter of 20,000 dolphins, porpoises, and small whales occurs in Japan each year. Starting on September 1st and usually continuing through March of the next year, fishermen herd whole families of small cetaceans into a shallow bays and mercilessly stab and drown them to death.
Sign this petition to end this brutal “tradition” in Taiji by telling the Mayor of Taiji, the Prime Minister, and the Emperor himself that the people of the world think the Dolphin Hunt is a disgusting practice that needs to end now!
- Amateur Fishing Threatening Rare Dolphin Population in New Zealand (natureworldnews.com)
- Japan bucks trend: Captive dolphin biz big (japantimes.co.jp)
- Stop the dolphin slaughter in Taiji (weswang.wordpress.com)
- Taiji: Japans town for the slaughter of dolphins (abc.net.au)
- Stop the dolphin slaughter in Taiji (jensensemble.wordpress.com)
- Nature’s Most Skilled Hunters (huntercourse.com)
- Stop the dolphin slaughter in Taiji (exposingcruelty.wordpress.com)
- Stop the dolphin slaughter in Taiji (flipfloparound.wordpress.com)
- Stop the dolphin slaughter in Taiji (jennasmith2345.wordpress.com)
- Stop the dolphin slaughter in Taiji (wesleywang1.wordpress.com)
As you will read in my new book, a ram phan….it goes into the Ford legacy because dont be fooled by people calling him a genius today…Unless you think that running a company that is making huge profits off WWII by supplying the german nazi’s trucks, and vehicles, to fight versus the USA…….a genius…i guess it is in that diabolical way…but serious…stop changing world history please….He gave them vehicles and free credit and he was not alone..oil companies did it too..IBM..etc……and then the USA gov had to pay Ford back for any money it kept during the war, after it ended….but the gov held back money made by ford because of this corrupt way of running a business..and then paid it back to him after the war ended in the mid to late 40s….
And, there we go…Donnie (Deutsch) mentioned what i said above here in the nicest of ways…(On Morning Joe). But he was not only anti sematic ..he also made shit loads of money supplying weapons and vehicles and/or anything to fight vs the us…how ridic isit to call him an american genius or whatever the fuck….
Hitler had a portrait of Ford in his home or at one of his Nazi offices….Ford and his company were/was an integral part of the German Army….
- Nazi-Themed Café Owner Denies Being A Hitler Sympathizer, Makes Staff Wear Replica SS Uniforms (warhistoryonline.com)
- Fury at Nazi cafe with Hitler pic and SS waiters (thesun.co.uk)
- Nazi-Themed Café Owner Denies Being A Hitler Sympathizer, Makes Staff Wear Replica SS Uniforms (historychannelfromthewar.com)
- Jewish campaigners call for end to pulp magazine that ‘glorifies Nazi WWII soldiers’ (dailymail.co.uk)
- Ford Aerostar – Photos, Reviews, Pricing & Specs (automotive.com)
- Henry’s Haunts – Latest News, Reviews, and Features (automobilemag.com)
- Donald Duck vs Adolf Hitler (dish.andrewsullivan.com)
- Henry Ford – Businessman, Innovator, Genius (autoevolution.com)
- Authorities set to investigate Nazi-themed café in Indonesia, which features images of Hitler (independent.co.uk)
(Chris) Christie vs. (Rand) Paul…ouch…listen to rand’s dig Citing Sandy aid, Rand Paul fires back at Christie
Paul attacked both Christie and Rep. Peter King (R-N.Y.), who has also indicated some interest in running for president in recent days and has also been critical of Paul for his libertarian approach to foreign policy and his opposition to the Sandy aid package.
“They’re precisely the same people who are unwilling to cut the spending, and they’re ‘Gimme, gimme, gimme — give me all my Sandy money now,’” Paul said at a Tennessee fundraiser, where his remarks were taped by the Tennesseean. “Those are the people who are bankrupting the government and not letting enough money be left over for national defense. So I think it’s those people who are making us weak in defense.”
Some conservatives resisted the Sandy package because it didn’t include spending cuts to offset to expenditures. They also criticized it for including too much pork.
Christie started the back-and-forth Thursday, when he took on libertarians in Congress for their support for a bill that would have defunded the NSA’s phone record collection program — a bill that nearly passed in the House.
“As a former prosecutor who was appointed by President George W. Bush on Sept. 10, 2001, I just want us to be really cautious, because this strain of libertarianism that’s going through both parties right now and making big headlines, I think, is a very dangerous thought,” Christie said.
On Sunday, King joined the criticism, hitting Paul for offering comments supportive of NSA leaker Edward Snowden. King, a former chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee, is known as a foreign policy hawk.
“When you have Rand Paul actually comparing Snowden to Martin Luther King or Henry David Thoreau, this is madness,” King said on CNN’s “State of the Union.” “This is the anti-war, left-wing Democrats of the 1960s that nominated George McGovern and destroyed their party for almost 20 years. I don’t want that to happen to our party.”
Paul said Sunday that he’s not looking for a fight, but that if Christie wants one, he’s got it.
“I didn’t start this one, and I don’t plan on starting things by criticizing other Republicans,” Paul said. “But if they want to make me the target, they will get it back in spades.”
Updated at 11:46 a.m.
- Rand Paul Criticizes Christie, King Over Sandy Spending – Talk Radio News Service (talkradionews.com)
- Rand Paul Has Really Stepped In It (2016elephantrace.wordpress.com)
- Rand Paul Slams Chris Christie, Peter King, for Being All ‘Gimme, gimme, gimme’ After Hurricane Sandy (reason.com)
- Rep. King, Gov. Christie Attack Rand Paul’s Opposition to NSA’s Warrantless Surveillance (joemiller.us)
- Rand Paul hits back at Christie (politico.com)
- Rand Paul explains why both sides are losing the GOP civil war (dailykos.com)
- A Fight that Had to Happen (pjmedia.com)
- Rand Paul emerges on GOP civil war’s front line (cbsnews.com)
Donny Deutsch, Jeremy Peters, Thomas Roberts, Andrea Mitchell, Mike Allen, Rep. Keith Ellison, Eugene Robinson, Harold Ford Jr., Anne Thompson, Dr. Nancy Snyderman, Richard Snow, Anna Gunn, Bill de Blasio, A.C. Thompson and Brian Sullivan are on today…That guy Jeremy peters is my new favorite guy they (M. Joe) have/has introduced us to lately…hes a great writer…hes smart and a great speaker too….so we will see if he can help make some positive changes for the world…he made our media list long ago….you know what no one is talking about lately…bradley manning….because, the bradley manning trial culminates today…that poor guy..or not..i just realized that his doc’s were found in bin laden’s house or compound….whatever…verdict comes down today….Joe must be off this week…..oh no…here’s joe…cool..joe looks all tan BTW….lets get some work done and lets learn something new today….and poor louis but he digs his own thing here by adding news about real housewives…no one that watches this show watches those weird shows so it comes off campy and as a joke…and very EW like….but….he does get batted around BUT and its a huge but……he kinda brings it on himself..he should lesson his stress by getting a red carpet gig on bravo or on e…its not that i dont like the guy but serious…lets try to be as serious as possible and joke about real news…like weiner….but I do feel bad for louis today…mika gets rough…look at her dad…lol…you know where her sterness and her need to report real news comes from in her life….you cant be throwing real housewives stuff into her face…can u say paris hilton and mika? you have not learned from that alone? and my man…donnie duetsch….oh and yes joe…that hilary or clinton statement released last night was devastating to both the wife and him…they need to both go away for a bit…that press conference from last mon was so bad…..so, so….bad…they should have let the royal baby engross the news hour…ill say it again because it was that kind of a day..and then all of a sudden comes this weiner press conference at what 5pm? 4PM last week? I was like why? regardless of me feeling that way….I can safely that it was bad planning…or i dunno…judgment (bad judgment) is the word….he should not have sent those pix online in the first places, but still…..i cant talk about him anymore….its annoying me now….I will say that (DC) Post article is rougher than rough today (about huma)...it was just bad judgment in every realm of this issue…nothing done is good or can be construed as positive in any way….its a stupid thing..and we cant have people doing stupid things while trying to be running a city like NYC,…that’s the real deal….is he gonna be doing this again next year when in power position again? we cant trust it….thats the problem..how do you trust that he would put people from NYC before him getting laid while committing adultery because the ONLY reason he did not commit that crime or whatever adultery is for people that are married….he could NOT even get laid to commit adultery…what a weirdo..how do not get laid? I mean at least get laid……and exactly Thomas (Roberts)…he needs to go away and maybe come back…but he needs to stop this already….we have not talked about one issue with regard to NYC….oh..yes…PS: That pope comment was incredible…that pope seems real cool….real..real…cool…alarmingly cool…..every time I went to end this rant today…the people on the panel say something i wanna discuss….i cant stop writing….PSSSSS: Dont forget to tune into the show when Keith ellison is on today….hey….I am back. (6:52)..I wish I cared about min. wages more than I do but more power to him (Ellison) for taking that head on….It also looks like mika is shutting me up by reporting on the real housewife again in the news you cant use….but then why did she give louis shit today…i was roped in so I am sorry louis…I shouldnt have said what i said above…u are great for way too early….but please stop trying to hook up with every actor while doing interviews…maybe that is what annoyed me because i think you sorta came on to sharon stone who is prolly my age mind u….it was odd and you did it with another chick too…btw…why do i have to be so fucking ahead of the curve on every level? It hurts my brain some times….What we did however many years ago production wise….is getting huge awareness today but then again….we (DJ-RX) never put this (https://soundcloud.com/americandrugwar/white-lines-by-dj-rx-1) to video….well there is a video and this is from that doc film but its not superimposed or whatever the term…withthe mouths or actual footage….someone on you tube put this to video..we never did it….and then of course Kevin (Booth) put the song in the film…..and I placed it in the soundtrack…this was a soundtrack CD that we ONLY chose songs that were actually placed in the film…..
- The CDC is investigating an outbreak of cyclospora infection, which has affected people in at least nine states from New Jersey to Texas. (familysurvivalprotocol.com)
- Mika Brzezinski Responds To Russell Brand Interview: ‘Never Gotten More Vitriol And Anger And Hatred’ (mediaite.com)
- Tonight: Donny Deutsch – and a live audience – get Guest Host Week back on track (piersmorgan.blogs.cnn.com)
- Donny Deutsch asks his guests: “Am I racist?” (piersmorgan.blogs.cnn.com)
- Frankfurt 2011: Our Favorite Finds – Donny Nordlicht (rumors.automobilemag.com)
- Donny Deutsch On Paula Deen: Can ‘Good People’ Say ‘Wrong Thing’ In Culture Where Everything Said ‘Sticks Forever’? (mediaite.com)
- Medical marijuana for kids? Some praise results while others worry about risks (nbcnews.com)
- What Are the Gobshites Saying These Days? (esquire.com)
- 9 Things Said On CNN’s Anthony Weiner Panel That Will Not Restore Your Faith In Humanity (buzzfeed.com)
- Dr. Nancy: Docs should treat Duchess Kate ‘like everybody else’ (today.com)
Last week the state election law enforcement agency released startling news: since the Supreme Court’s Citizens United decision, outside spending in New Jersey state-level elections has increased by 1,000%.
And guess who the biggest spender is? The Koch brothers – by a mile. 
Tell your Member of Congress to keep Koch money out of New Jersey by passing a Constitutional Amendment to overturn Citizens United.
The Kochs are investing heavily in both state and federal elections throughout New Jersey. In 2012 over half of all outside spending for the Senate and House races in New Jersey came from a Koch Brothers’ Super PAC.  Citizens United has made it possible for the Kochs and other out of state right-wing billionaires to influence elections at every level of government, and the problem only seems to be getting worse.
But we can fight back. Last year a statewide campaign pushed New Jersey state legislators to throw their weight behind a Constitutional Amendment. Thanks to your advocacy New Jersey is now one of 16 states that support retaking our democracy.
That was a big win, because any Amendment must eventually be ratified by state legislatures. But to even get to that stage Congress must first pass an Amendment. So far Senator Menendez and Congressmen Pascrell and Holt are on board, but the rest of the New Jersey delegation has yet to sign on.
The Garden State can do better than that – but it won’t without us. Passing a Constitutional Amendment isn’t easy, and it’s never going to happen unless working families push it forward every step of the way. Your Congressperson needs to hear how important this fight is to you.
- Oregon becomes 16th state to call for amendment overturning Citizens United (dailykos.com)
- Another State Takes Step Toward Citizens United Vote (huffingtonpost.com)
- Citizens United (sunsetdaily.wordpress.com)
- Shocking Hot-Mic Gun Comments From New Jersey Senate: ‘Confiscate, Confiscate, Confiscate’ (theblaze.com)
- Sen. Murphy (D-CT) Proposes Constitutional Amendment to Silence NRA, Newspapers (thetruthaboutguns.com)
- Nancy Pelosi Wants to Change First Amendment to Allow Regulation of Corporate Speech (theblaze.com)
- Support growing in Congress to overturn Citizens United decision (vtdigger.org)
- Oregon Joins 15 Other States In Resolution Calling For The Overturn Of Citizens United (VIDEO) (addictinginfo.org)
- Make this the summer democracy wins (citizenvox.org)
- Circle of Life by Elton John (hopeandloveradio.wordpress.com)
- Oh Darling BNLYFilm | Golden Slumbers (zendialogue.wordpress.com)
- Elton John – Circle Of Life (saturdaymorningplaylist.wordpress.com)
- Elton John to Receive First-Ever Brits Icon Award (music.broadwayworld.com)
- Elton John Convinces Court To Dismiss ‘Nikita’ Copyright Case (wcbsfm.cbslocal.com)
- Elton John Announces New Album ‘Diving Board’ (myq105.cbslocal.com)
- Elton John Announces New Album ‘Diving Board’ (wncx.cbslocal.com)
- Elton John to receive BRITs Icon Award (vancouverdesi.com)
- New Elton John Song, “Home Again” [Video] (myq105.cbslocal.com)
- Elton John In Regular Contact With Ed Sheeran (contactmusic.com)
Please help us save Colorado’s beautiful Grand Valley from a scourge of fracking.
The Obama Administration is considering an alarming proposal to allow some 108 new fracking wells.
Grand Valley is home to sensitive species like the burrowing owl, the white-tailed prairie dog, elk and mule deer. It also provides clean drinking water for thousands of people in the city of Grand Junction.
But oil and gas companies are racing to expand dangerous fracking operations.
And Colorado has already become one of the poster children for the perils of fracking, with hundreds of occurrences of hazardous waste spills, groundwater and river contamination and other ill effects being reported.
Allowing the construction of more than 100 new wells in Grand Valley at such close proximity to the primary drinking water source for the Grand Junction metropolitan area would be nothing short of disastrous.
Please send a message urging the BLM to reject the proposal and keep fracking out of Grand Valley’s watershed.
Thank you for taking action to protect Colorado’s last wild places.
- DRIP and Mesa County Fair “Join the Flock” (thedripwebsite.com)
- City of Grand Junction March Snow Survey Results (thedripwebsite.com)
- Increase in Mosquitoes Carrying West Nile Virus in Grand Valley (krextv.com)
- Officials Meet in GJ to Talk Air Quality (krextv.com)
- Grand Valley Wheat Thriving (krextv.com)
- Frack is so wack in the West Village (vixreview.com)
- To frack or not to frack? (smartsign.com)
- Editorial: Reassuring news on fracking front (denverpost.com)
- DRIP Announces Continuation of Stage 1 Drought (thedripwebsite.com)
Anthony Weiner’s campaign manager has quit in the wake of new revelations about the New York City mayoral candidate’s online communications with women, according to a spokeswoman.
The move was first reported by The New York Times late Saturday and confirmed to NBC News by Barbara Morgan, Weiner’s press contact.
Danny Kedem, 31, informed Weiner that he could no longer run day-to-day operations after the mayoral hopeful admitted Tuesday that he continued to send raunchy photos and messages to women after resigning from Congress in 2011 amid a “sexting” scandal, according to the Times report.
When contacted by NBC News, Kedem declined to comment.
Kedem’s resignation deals another blow to Weiner’s beleagured campaign, which has struggled to rebound in the polls following the candidate’s disclosures in the last week.
On Tuesday, Weiner confessed to explicit communications with six to ten women – three of them after he resigned – after a gossip website published texts and photos it said were from 2012.
At a press conference Tuesday, Weiner – accompanied by his wife, Huma Abedin, an aide to Hillary Clinton – apologized and asked voters for a second chance.
“Some of these things happened before my resignation. Some of them happened after,” Weiner said.
“While some things that have been posted today are true and some are not, there is no question that what I did was wrong. This behavior is behind me,” he said, calling his digital indiscretions “problematic to say the least and destructive to say the most.”
On Monday, the gossip website The Dirty claimed that Weiner, allegedly using the alias “Carlos Danger,” met an unnamed 22-year-old woman on the social media website Formspring in July 2012, sent her explicit photos and had phone sex with her before the relationship “fizzled.”
Weiner, a six-term congressman who represented the New York City boroughs of Brooklyn and Queens, resigned in disgrace in June 2011 after it was revealed he sent a photo of himself in his underwear to a woman via Twitter.
Danny Kadem, Anthony Weiner’s campaign manager, has stepped down after the candidate’s most recent publicity regarding his behavior online, according to The New York Times. TODAY’s Erica Holt interviews David Gregory of NBC’s “Meet the Press” about the impact this could have on Weiner’s campaign.
He initially denied it was him in the photo or that he sent it, but Weiner eventually came clean, confessing that he had carried on “inappropriate” conversations through Twitter, Facebook, email and over the phone with six women over a three-year period.
And yet, less than two years after a stunning fall from grace, Weiner, 48, appeared to be in the midst of a comeback.
Two months after he announced his return to the political stage, he was near or at the top in several polls in the race to replace Michael Bloomberg, eclipsing New York City Council Speaker Christine Quinn, who was widely considered the frontrunner.
Kedem was likely a key ingredient in Weiner’s successful formula, helping to transform the long-shot candidate — a mainstay of tabloid headlines and late-night talk show punchlines — into a legitimate contender for New York City’s top job.
Weiner has not indicated that he will drop out of the race.
Tracy Connor of NBC News contributed to this report.
- Anthony Weiner’s campaign manager calls it quits (usnews.nbcnews.com)
- Danny Kedem Quits As Weiner Campaign Manager (lezgetreal.com)
- Anthony Weiner’s campaign manager calls it quits amid new revelations (redalertpolitics.com)
- Anthony Weiner’s campaign manager resigns – Boston Globe (vote-pedia.com)
- Report: Anthony Weiner’s Campaign Manager Danny Kedem Calls It Quits After New Sexting Revelations (themoderatevoice.com)
- Danny Kedem Quits: Anthony Weiner’s Campaign Manager Steps Down – Huffington Post (huffingtonpost.com)
- Anthony Weiner’s campaign manager quits (kshb.com)
- Anthony Weiner to Stay in NYC Mayor’s Race (theroot.com)
- Anthony Weiner stays in NYC mayor race after staffer quits (bostonherald.com)
- Anthony Weiner’s campaign manager quits amid sexting scandal (ctvnews.ca)
Live Stream Happening Now: Bryan Fuller, executive producer of the tv show “Hannibal” joins Kevin; Kevin Pollaks Chat Show is streaming live!
- John Larroquette is on the Kevin Pollak’s Chat Show (sunsetdaily.wordpress.com)
- TV: The Walkthrough: Bryan Fuller walks us through Hannibal’s debut season (part 3 of 4) (avclub.com)
- Hannibal Season 2: Bryan Fuller, Hugh Dancy Tease a ‘Scrappy,’ ‘More Calculating’ Will Graham (tvline.com)
- Bryan Fuller Talks Hannibal Season 2 (dreadcentral.com)
- Bryan Fuller Offers David Bowie a Role in ‘Hannibal’ Season 2 (screenrant.com)
- TV: The Walkthrough: Bryan Fuller walks us through Hannibal’s debut season (part 4 of 4) (avclub.com)
- TV: The Walkthrough: Bryan Fuller walks us through the first three episodes of Hannibal (1 of 4) (avclub.com)
- Hannibal, Kierkegaard, and Empathy (ethicistforhire.blogspot.com)
- Creator Bryan Fuller Talks HANNIBAL Season 2 and Beyond; Plus When Does the RED DRAGON Storyline Come Into Play? (collider.com)
- David Bowie Being Courted by NBC to Play Hannibal’s Uncle; Another New Season 2 Character Revealed (dreadcentral.com)
Coal: Bad for the Water
According to the EPA, more than half of all toxic water pollution in the country comes from coal-fired power plants. Pollution standards haven’t been updated in 30 years, but now the EPA has proposed strong new guidelines that the Sierra Club supports. Today the Sierra Club released a new report (pdf) that highlights just how badly needed these protections are.
Sierra Club activists are hosting over 20 creative events nationwide this month to help promote the new report and guidelines, including a “toxic lemonade stand” in Pennsylvania and a “Miss and Mr. Toxic Water Swimsuit Competition” in Missouri.
Like many Sierra Club staffers, Heather Moyer is an environmental and community activist away from the office. She’s also active with her church in Baltimore, where she runs her congregation’s Community Service Program. As a writer for the Sierra Club, she’s all-too-aware of the travesty of mountaintop-removal coal mining. So she decided to draft a resolution putting her denomination, the 1.1-million-member United Church of Christ, on record as officially opposing mountaintop removal, and took it to their annual conference earlier this month.
Go With the FlowIf you love water adventures, our water trips are sure to float your boat. Glide through brilliant water worlds on a kayak journey; reflect upon nature on a moderately paced canoe trip; or join a thrilling whitewater rafting adventure. Most water trips include frequent stops for side hikes, swimming, wildlife viewing, photography, or just stretching your legs.
Camp and canoe a crystal-clear, spring-fed river in the Missouri Ozarks, kayak among pristine islands and lakes in Florida’s enchanting Okefenokee Refuge, or bring the whole family for rafting (and hiking and biking, too!) in rugged Ohiopyle State Park, Pennsylvania.
Looking for more like this, or something else entirely? Visit our website to find the trip that’s right for you.
Photo: Adirondack Rafting by J Swedberg
Jane Goodall is the world’s most legendary primatologist, but lately she’s been spending more time focusing on a life form less intelligent than the chimpanzees she studied in Tanzania. In fact, one that has no brains at all: plants.
Sierra magazine interviewed her to find out not only what compelled her to spend years writing a book about the botanical world, but also how she became a vegetarian, whether she thinks there’s hope for our planet, whether she’s religious, and what her favorite place on Earth is.
Photo: Stuart Clarke
Green Your Bedroom: Our Eco-Sex GuideIs your sex life eco-friendly?
Check out our tips to learn how to have fun between the sheets and help the planet.
The 2014 Sierra Club Calendars are here! Available in both weekly engagement-book and monthly wall-hanging formats, they’re filled with breathtaking images of wild places all across the country. Hey, we’ve sold more than 10 million of these for a good reason!
They’re beautiful, fascinating, and hungry. Carnivorous plants live in nutrient-poor environments, like bogs, where they survive by capturing invertebrates and digesting them for nutrients.
On a Clear Day… Some of the most spectacular views on Earth can be experienced at Grand Canyon National Park, carved over tens of millions of years by the Colorado River. But for decades, visitors have had to peer through industrial haze coming from the largest coal-fired power plant in the West, located less than 12 miles from the national park’s boundary.
The EPA is taking public comments right now on how to clean up pollution from the Navajo Generating Station. But the coal lobby is pushing the EPA to delay cleanup and approve a weakened plan.
Send a comment to the EPA now to protect the Grand Canyon from coal pollution and restore clear skies to the national park.
1) Jim Hunt, author of Restless Fires: Young John Muir’s Thousand-Mile Walk to the Gulf in 1867-1868.
2) Green living tips from Sierra magazine’s Avital Andrews.
3) Bill Hewitt, author of A Newer World: Politics, Money, Technology, and What’s Really Being Done to Solve the Climate Crisis.
- Activist Profile: National Christian Denomination Stands Against Mountaintop Removal Coal Mining (sierraclub.typepad.com)
- Protect our Appalachian mountains and waterways – Sierra Club (wikileaks-forum.com)
- Appalachian Families Denied Clean Water Travel to Washington to Demand Action (sierraclub.typepad.com)
- “We’ve Been Carrying These Signs for Too Long!” (sierraclub.typepad.com)
- Victory! Grassroots Organizing Stops Massive Strip Mine in VA (earthfirstnews.wordpress.com)
- * Press Conference on Power Plant Water Pollution – July 23, 2:30 PM, Mountain Island Lake (charlottesierraclub.org)
- Sierra Club Calls For More Control On Coal Plant Emissions (indianapublicmedia.org)
- * TAKE ACTION: Tell the EPA that we need the strongest possible safeguards against toxic wastewater (charlottesierraclub.org)
- Coal Mining Industry Influences EPA’s Selenium Pollution Standards (ecowatch.com)
- Mountaintop Removal Coal Mining Continues to Destroy Appalachia (ecowatch.com)
This is Your Chance to Defeat the King Amendment to the Farm Bill!
The revamped Farm Bill, including the highly controversial King Amendment, was recently approved by the House. House-Senate negotiators are now working to resolve the differences between their bills. The King Amendment, proposed by Representative Steve King of Iowa, claims to protect interstate commerce, but in reality it is designed to undermine animal welfare laws enacted by individual states.
Please take a moment to call the four leaders of the House-Senate Farm Bill Conference Committee to ask them to remove the King Amendment from the final Farm Bill.
- Sen. Thad Cochran: 202-224-5054
- Rep. Frank Lucas: 202-225-5565
- Rep. Collin Peterson: 202-225-2165
- Sen. Debbie Stabenow: 202-224-4822
According to the 10th Amendment to the Constitution, states should be able to ban the sale of agricultural products if they are not produced in a manner approved by that state. Please help us defeat the dangerous and unconstitutional King Amendment to the 2013 Farm Bill.
Upcoming Appeal Hearing for the Twin Peaks Wild Horses and Burros
For the first time in the history of the Wild Horse Act, an Appeals Court will determine whether the BLM’s interpretation of the Act is consistent with Congress’s intent to protect these living symbols of the West over 40 years ago. The Twin Peaks roundup resulted in the permanent removal of more than 1,500 wild horses and 160 burros from the range. Fifteen more were killed and 54 mares were injected with immuno-contraceptives before being released. As of August 2012, 977 of the wild horses removed from the range are still incarcerated and 158 more have died. The BLM failed to consider current data regarding ecological resources in the herd management area, and also illegally harassed and captured horses that were not even considered “excess” by their own inappropriate standards. Don’t miss this important hearing – please fill the courtroom and show your support for the Twin Peaks wild horses and burros.
If you are able to be in Southern California in late August, please help plaintiffs IDA and Dream Catcher Wild Horse and Burro Sanctuary fill the courtroom to show your support for the Twin Peaks wild horses and burros! An appeal hearing on the groundbreaking Twin Peaks wild horse lawsuit is scheduled for August 29th at 2 p.m. at the Ninth Circuit Courthouse in Pasadena, California.
What: Appeal Hearing for the Twin Peaks Wild Horses and Burros
When: Thursday, August 29, 2 pm – please arrive no later than 1:30 pm
Where: Ninth Circuit Courthouse, 125 South Grand Ave., Pasadena, CA
No recording devices, cameras, cell phones or electronic devices are allowed in the courtroom. We suggest not bringing any such devices into the courthouse. Photo identification is required to get into the courthouse. If you are planning to attend, RSVP by sending an e-mail to email@example.com.
Make Sure Your Love for Animals Lives On
Who should I name as executor in my will? I wanted to ask one of my kids, but now I don’t think they are up for the job. Be sure you choose the right person for this important position – they will be responsible for carrying out your wishes in regards to your animals and your estate. Follow this link to read our article on executors and wills. For more information, please contact Nicole Otoupalik at firstname.lastname@example.org or leave a message at 714-389-2823 and she will return your call early next week.
- “King amendment” Farm Bill Needs To Be Stricken from it… (sunsetdaily.wordpress.com)
- Sustainable Sunday’s: In Defense Of Animals (sunsetdaily.wordpress.com)
- ‘Twin Peaks’ Dance Party (thestranger.com)
- Scott Beale: A Supercut of All the Pie and Coffee Scenes in ‘Twin Peaks’ (laughingsquid.com)
- Animal Protection Laws in Peril – Tell Congress to Nix the King Amendment! (sunsetdaily.wordpress.com)
- Top Of The Lake Is Twin Peaks For Feminists…So Why Didn’t You Watch It? (thegloss.com)
- Every single coffee and pie scene from Twin Peaks, you’re welcome (io9.com)
- Last Minute Plans: Twin Peaks Record Release Show At Schubas (chicagoist.com)
- Twin Peaks and the Fates of Fictional Characters (varietyofscenes.wordpress.com)
- Do you remember? The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer (Twin Peaks) (myafeniksus.wordpress.com)
|Feds Delay Permit to Kill Whales, Sea Lions in Calif. — Thank You
After receiving more than 13,500 letters from Center for Biological Diversity supporters, the federal government decided on Wednesday to put a hold on a fishery’s permit to harm and kill marine animals off the California coast.
The National Marine Fisheries Service was about to approve California’s swordfish gillnet fishery to “take” (harm, injure or kill) endangered fin, sperm and humpback whales, even after the recent entanglement of two sperm whales in the fishery’s long, deadly nets — which also snare and drown bottlenose dolphins, loggerhead sea turtles, California sea lions and many other imperiled animals.
But after the Center rallied our online activists, the Fisheries Service announced it would withhold the permit until after a meeting is held next week to discuss possible emergency measures to reduce interactions with whales and other endangered species.
“This is a huge victory for sperm whales and other marine mammals,” said the Center’s Catherine Kilduff. “These incredible whales are already struggling under the stress of climate change, loud noises from military exercises and other threats. Nobody wants more whales to die in California gillnets for a swordfish steak.”
|EPA Sued to Save Northwest Sea Life From Ocean Acidification
The Center launched a lawsuit this week aimed at getting the EPA to do more to tackle ocean acidification, which is wiping out oysters and threatening ocean ecosystems in Oregon and Washington. We notified the agency we’ll challenge its determination that seawater in those states still meets water-quality standards — even though the water is growing dangerously more acidic because of carbon dioxide pollution.
Shellfish hatcheries in Washington and Oregon have seen production drop 80 percent since 2005. The massive shellfish die-offs are driven by ocean acidification; corrosive waters are coming closer to shore and making it harder for oysters and other shellfish to regrow their protective casings. It’s no surprise that the problem is worsening: Every day, the world’s oceans absorb 22 million tons of carbon pollution from cars, factories, power plants and other human sources.
If we’re going to stop acidification before it causes widespread catastrophe for our oceans, we need the EPA to grasp the scale of the crisis and start pursuing solutions now.
|Chance to Save Chimps, Both Captive and Wild — Take Action
The world population of wild chimpanzees has plummeted nearly 70 percent in the past 30 years. And although wild chimpanzees, which live in Africa, have long been listed under the Endangered Species Act, this domestically powerful U.S. law hasn’t been able to halt their decline in their native habitat. And captive chimps, kept in a wide range of conditions in the United States as entertainment, pets for the rich, and research subjects in labs, have meanwhile been exempted from protection.
Poachers massacre whole families of chimps so that the infants can be kidnapped and sold — as many as 10 chimps may be killed for every infant captured for the pet trade. The massacres gravely undermine efforts to save this highly intelligent (see “Wild & Weird,” below) and charismatic species.
Now there’s hope on the horizon: The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is proposing, for the first time, to protect captive chimps. We need your help to make that happen.
|Center Calls for Investigation Into Major Southwest Forest Project
On Monday the Center called on the Department of Agriculture’s inspector general to investigate how a U.S. Forest Service contract is being handled on a restoration and timber project in northern Arizona. The Service announced last Friday it might transfer the contract for the “Four Forests Restoration Initiative” — to thin trees on almost 1 million acres — because the company that has that contract now, Pioneer Forest Products, has failed to perform.
Many stakeholders in the Four Forests collaborative — including the Center — predicted Pioneer would fail because the company’s business plan was deeply flawed. In the year since the contract was awarded Pioneer still hasn’t gotten financing for its mill and has hired 12 loggers to thin just 1,000 acres. Worse still, the Service abandoned an important agreement that the project’s stakeholders had reached on protecting large trees.
“Ignoring the collaborative agreement was an outright breach of the social license that enabled this restoration project in the first place,” said the Center’s Todd Schulke, who worked closely with the stakeholder group. “Large trees aren’t only critically important to the survival of endangered species, they’re also more fire-resistant so they help to reduce the risk of catastrophic fires.”
|Op-ed: EPA Chief’s Mission, Stop Climate Crisis
Now that Gina McCarthy has survived her protracted Senate confirmation process to become the new chief of the EPA, it’s time for her to tackle an issue that affects people outside the beltway, too: the climate crisis.
As the Center’s Bill Snape writes in an op-ed in The Hill this week, McCarthy must make good on President Obama’s recent call for action against climate change. “But she also needs to recognize that the president’s recently announced climate plan doesn’t go far enough to match the urgency of the problem,” Bill writes. “To put a real dent in the greenhouse gas pollution warming the planet, the EPA’s new chief should consider putting a science-based national cap on carbon pollution.”
The cap wouldn’t require any new legislation. It would be done under the Clean Air Act and help put us on the road toward reducing carbon in the atmosphere to 350 parts per million — the level scientists say is needed to avoid climate catastrophe.
Arctic sea ice is already melting, temperature records are breaking, and sea levels are rising. McCarthy needs to act fast.
|Momentum Builds Against Super-toxic Rat Poisons
To protect wildlife, pets and children, the Center and allies just launched a new coalition dedicated to reducing the harms of broadly destructive rat and mouse poisons known as rodenticides. Our Safe Rodent Control Coalition is a group of nonprofit organizations, municipalities, businesses and scientists promoting safer strategies for rodent control.
The launch of the coalition follows a recent decision by the California Department of Pesticide Regulation to allow the continued use of super-toxic rodenticides — known as “second-generation anticoagulant rodenticides” — by certified pest-control specialists. California’s announcement builds on an EPA move earlier this year for a partial ban on hazardous D-CON (rodenticide) poisons nationwide.
Unfortunately half-steps like the EPA’s will still leave poison in the food chain. Numerous scientific studies have documented rodenticides in more than 70 percent of wildlife tested. Poisonings and deaths have been documented in more than 40 wildlife species, including bald and golden eagles, hawks, bobcats and mountain lions — plus endangered species like the San Joaquin kit fox and northern spotted owl.
|Arctic’s Bearded Seals Defended From Big Oil
Big Oil filed a lawsuit earlier this year trying to strip protections from the Arctic’s bearded seals, so the Center intervened last Friday in the lawsuit, defending these mustachioed, golden-voiced and highly endangered pinnipeds.
The oil industry suit was filed against the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration for its 2012 decision to protect bearded seals from sea-ice loss under the Endangered Species Act. The rapid loss of pack ice jeopardizes the seals’ ability to rear young and reduces key food sources for the seals on their shallow foraging grounds. The seals’ winter sea-ice habitat (in the Bering and Okhotsk seas off Alaska and Russia) is projected to decline by at least 40 percent by 2050, while summer sea ice across the Arctic is projected to largely disappear in the next 20 years.
These seals also face threats from proposed offshore oil and gas development off Alaska, where a spill in icy waters would be impossible to clean up. The Center first petitioned for their federal protection in May 2008.
|Just Released: Our Summer Newsletter
We’re happy to share the summer 2013 issue of Endangered Earth — the Center for Biological Diversity’s print newsletter — as an online PDF for easy viewing. Inside you’ll find the latest on our fight to protect endangered wildlife, put an end to polluting practices like fracking, and rally opposition to the destructive Keystone XL pipeline.
We’ve been busier than ever in 2013, leading the pack in the fight to keep America’s recovering wolf populations protected, winning more than 739 miles of protected coastline for loggerhead sea turtles, and filing suit to protect thousands of marine mammals from military sonar testing — among lots of other exciting developments.
We make this members-only print newsletter available to our online supporters as a thank-you for taking action with the Center. Please consider becoming a member today and help us do even more for wildlife. Simply call us toll-free at 1-866-357-3349 x 311 or visit our support Web page to learn more and make a gift.
|Wild & Weird: Chimps Can Remember the Distant Past
The capacity to remember events from the distant past is often presumed to be uniquely human. But a new study published in Current Biology shows that some other primates — chimpanzees and orangutans, at least — can remember events that occurred three years in the past.
In the study a team of scientists presented chimps and orangutans with two boxes located in two separate rooms. One box contained useful tools; the other’s contents were insignificant. Fast-forward three years: The great apes were brought back to the rooms, and 90 percent found the useful tools instantly — demonstrating their ability to use cues present in each room to recall the distant event.
- Cetaceans: the new human (worldtravaillers.wordpress.com)
- Coastline of Ilocos Norte becoming marine animal grave (newsinfo.inquirer.net)
- Picture of the Day: Baby Sperm Whale Jumps for Joy, Goes Flying Through the Air (news.softpedia.com)
- Whaling in Connecticut (manuscripts.wordpress.com)
- DLNR, NOAA request assistance from Hawaii boaters to report dead floating whales (hawaiireporter.com)
- Whales Almost Swallow, ‘Eat’ Divers in California (+Video) (theepochtimes.com)
- Whales Almost Gulp Down Divers ‘I Was In The Middle Of The Meatball’ (VIDEOS) (hngn.com)
- VIDEO: Fishermen rescue endangered Northern Right Whale (wtkr.com)
- Agreement protects Gulf of Mexico marine mammals (summitcountyvoice.com)
- A huge baby Sperm Whale swimming alone in sunlit waters while… (thekidshouldseethis.com)
The Great Barrier Reef is at risk of being dredged to make way for a mega coal project. But if one key investor walks away, the deal would be sunk and the World Heritage Site protected. We can convince them to pull out, or get PM Rudd to stop the plan, but we have to act now — sign this urgent petition to help save the Great Barrier Reef:
It would be hard to make this stuff up. Australia’s legendarily irresponsible mining industry has a new plan: while the planet faces catastrophic climate change, build the world’s largest coal mining complex, and then build a shipping lane to that port straight through the greatest ecological treasure we have – the Great Barrier Reef!
This is a terrible idea with devastating consequences, and the investor group Aurizon that’s backing it know it. They’re getting cold feet, and we might be able to push them over the edge, and kill the project. One of the main potential funders has even donated to climate activism!
If one million of us express our head-shaking disbelief at this crazy project in the next few days, we can help get Aurizon to pull funding and maybe even persuade the Australian PM to step in. This is what Avaaz is for, let’s raise a voice for common sense:
The Great Barrier Reef — the largest living organism on Earth and home to a quarter of all the species that live in the world’s oceans — has slowly been dying for years. It’s lost half its coral in the past three decades and that rate is only accelerating. Climate change is one cause, but so is Australia’s booming mining industry. The German magazine Der Spiegel reported that “if current trends continue, the unthinkable could happen: the Great Barrier Reef could die.”
And yet, the mining industry plans to build massive new ports at a complex called Abbot Point in Northeast Australia (right by the reef) to make it easier to get the coal it’s mining out to the world. Not only would that mean doubling the number of ships that pass by the reef each year and ripping up to 3 million cubic meters of material from the fragile seabed, but if all the coal from the proposed mines this would enable is burned, it would be three times Australia’s current climate pollution — hurtling us faster towards the point of no return.
The investors are meeting now to decide what to do and the Australian Environment Minister will choose whether to approve the project in the next two weeks. Our voices can signal to all of them to block this disaster, especially to Australian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd if he hopes to maintain his global reputation in the lead-up to his re-election bid.
They’re all deciding what to do now. Sign this urgent petition and share it with everyone you know to stop the Great Barrier train wreck:
The Avaaz community has been fighting to save the unparalleled beauty of the reef for years. Last year, Avaaz members threatened a public US Bank when they were set to invest in reef destruction. And hundreds of thousands of Avaaz members sent messages to the Australian Environment Minister to help win the largest marine reserve in the world. Let’s do it again and put the reef out of reach of these profiteering plunderers.
- U.S. navy to recover bombs from Great Barrier Reef (reuters.com)
- US Navy Will Recover the Bombs it Dropped in the Great Barrier Reef (inhabitat.com)
- Great Barrier Reef’s condition declined from moderate to poor in 2011 (guardian.co.uk)
- Great Barrier Reef Under Threat (world.time.com)
- Navy to recover bombs dropped on Great Barrier Reef (worldnews.nbcnews.com)
- Great Barrier Reef’s condition declines to ‘poor’. (telegraph.co.uk)
- Navy to recover bombs dropped on Great Barrier Reef (worldnews.nbcnews.com)
- Navy will soon start process of retrieving four bombs dropped at Great Barrier Reef park (al.com)
- U.S. Navy to Recover Bombs from Great Barrier Reef (scientificamerican.com)
- Do Clouds Save the Great Barrier Reef? Satellite Imagery Elucidates the Cloud-SST Relationship at the Local Scale (plosone.org)
“Historically, opposition to immigration in the United States has been racially and religiously motivated in the ugliest, nastiest way possible,” says Grover Norquist, President and Founder of Americans for Tax Reform.
“[The] people who think that building higher walls or deeper walls or moats and alligators and stuff,” Norquist says, “they’re chasing problems that can be fixed more easily by expanding liberty rather than contracting it.”
Held each July in Las Vegas, Freedom Fest is attended by around 2,000 limited-government enthusiasts and libertarians a year. ReasonTV spoke with over two dozen speakers and attendees and will be releasing interviews over the coming weeks.
About 12 minutes.
Produced by Tracy Oppenheimer. Camera by Paul Detrick and Oppenheimer.
- Grover Norquist on Open Borders and Historically Racist Immigration Policy (financialsurvivalnetwork.com)
- WATCH LIVE: Mayor Rahm Emanuel debates Grover Norquist on immigration (voices.suntimes.com)
- Inside The Group Therapy Session For Conservatives Who Hate Grover Norquist (businessinsider.com)
- Steve King: Norquist ‘Vilifying’ Amnesty Opponents by Using Liberal Tactics (breitbart.com)
- Newsmakers with Grover Norquist | C-SPAN (wadeedith.typepad.com)
- Norquist, Emanuel agree on immigration (oddonion.com)
- Grover Norquist, Rahm Emanuel play nice on immigration (redalertpolitics.com)
- Grover Norquist to Newsmax: This Is Obama Saying ‘My Plan Sucks’ (newsmax.com)
- Norquist, Emanuel: House will pass immigration (politico.com)
- Rahm in Washington D.C. for immigration show with Grover Norquist. Livestream at 1 p.m. (voices.suntimes.com)
The final stretch of our Trans-Siberian journey takes us to Yekaterinberg and Kungur. Yekaterinberg, also known as Sverdlovsk, was the home to the killing of the last emperor of Russia. After a quick visit to the church and Europe-Asia monument, we continue on to Kungur to visit the Ice Cave.
- 13 June 1891, birthdate of the Trans Siberian Railway (russianreport.wordpress.com)
- Rail Travel // Russia (safarisandsunsets.com)
- Trans-Siberian Railway getting new lease on life (rbth.asia)
- Taking the long Trans-Siberian road to Japan (japantimes.co.jp)
- Russian Railways invests $18.7 billion in Far East (rbth.ru)
- Seeing the Trans Siberian Orchestra While in Phoenix (local.answers.com)
- Russia’s infrastructure projects are open to investors (indrus.in)
- Russian Railways injects $18.7 Billion in Far Eastern infrastructure (rbth.asia)
- Russia to build new ‘access point to the Pacific Ocean’ (rbth.asia)
- Days 3 and 4 – The Trans-Siberian Begins (eastnotwest.wordpress.com)