Updates from September, 2013 Toggle Comment Threads | Keyboard Shortcuts
As Assad Regime Accepts Russian Plan on Chemical Weapons, A Debate on Syria’s Path Forward. 40 Years After Chilean Coup, Allende Aide Juan Garcés on How He Brought Pinochet to Justice. Protesters Confront Petraeus on His 1st Day of Class at CUNY. ”Make the Economy Scream“: Secret Documents Show Nixon, Kissinger Role Backing 1973 Chile Coup.
As President Obama prepares to address the nation on his push for Congressional backing of a military strike on Syria, the Assad regime has accepted a Russian initiative to put its chemical weapons under international control. Could the move stop a U.S. strike and bring the Syrian crisis closer to a diplomatic resolution? We host a debate on how to resolve the Syrian conflict between Rafif Jouejati of the Syrian Local Coordination Committees, a network of activists throughout Syria, and Rania Masri, Lebanese-based human rights activist and professor at the University of Balamand in Lebanon.
Wednesday marks the 40th anniversary of the so-called “other 9/11″: On September 11, 1973, a U.S.-backed coup led by General Augusto Pinochet ousted the democratically elected president, Salvador Allende. It is estimated more than 3,000 people were killed during Pinochet’s dictatorship, which lasted another 17 years. In 1998, Pinochet was arrested in London on torture and genocide charges on a warrant issued by a Spanish judge, Baltasar Garzón. His arrest came largely thanks to the efforts of our guest, Spanish attorney Juan Garcés. A personal advisor to Allende, Garcés was with him on the day of the coup. Allende walked him to the palace exit before it was bombed and told him to tell the world what he had seen. Garcés went on to lead the efforts for Pinochet to be arrested and tried.
Former CIA director David Petraeus has begun his post as a visiting professor at the City University of New York. Petraeus directed troops in Iraq and Afghanistan before leading the CIA until an extramarital affair forced him to resign last year. Protesters confronted Petraeus on his first day of class. Protesters followed him down the street, chanting: “War criminal! Petraeus out of CUNY! Petraeus out of CUNY!”
We continue our coverage of the 40th anniversary of the overthrow of Chilean President Salvador Allende with a look at the critical U.S. role under President Richard Nixon and his National Security Advisor, Henry Kissinger. Peter Kornbluh, who spearheaded the effort to declassify more than 20,000 secret documents that revealed the role of the CIA and the White House in the Chilean coup, discusses how Nixon and Kissinger backed the Chilean military’s ouster of Allende and then offered critical support as it committed atrocities to cement its newfound rule. Kornbluh is author of the newly updated book, “The Pinochet File: A Declassified Dossier on Atrocity and Accountability,” and director of the Chile Documentation Project at the National Security Archive. We’re also joined by Juan Garcés, a former personal advisor to Allende who later led the successful legal effort to arrest and prosecute coup leader Augusto Pinochet.
- Democracy Now! U.S. and World News Headlines for Thursday, September 5 (sunsetdaily.wordpress.com)
- 40 Years After Chilean Coup, Allende Aide Juan Garcés on How He Brought Pinochet to Justice (democracynow.org)
- Chile coup: 40 years ago I watched Pinochet crush a democratic dream (theguardian.com)
- Allende’s legacy strong 40 years after Chile coup (miamiherald.com)
- “Make the Economy Scream”: Secret Documents Show Nixon, Kissinger Role Backing 1973 Chile Coup (democracynow.org)
- Chile opposition urges Pinochet probe (bbc.co.uk)
- Allende’s Legacy Strong 40 Years After Chile Coup – ABC News (abcnews.go.com)
- Former AP editor recalls covering 1973 Chile coup (sfgate.com)
- Pinochet and Allende: a tale of treason (newsinfo.inquirer.net)
- Allende’s legacy strong 40 years after Chile coup (cnsnews.com)
Our National Parks Can’t Wait!
It’s time we cleared the air.
Many of our most cherished places, from Yellowstone to the Grand Canyon, are threatened by poor air quality–spoiling pristine landscapes and diminishing the experience of millions of park visitors each year.
This wasn’t supposed to happen. The 1977 Clean Air Act promised to restore clean, clear air to America’s national parks and wilderness areas. But at the current rate of cleanup, it will take centuries to achieve natural air quality at many parks.
Fortunately, there’s a solution. The Obama Administration can close the loopholes in our clean air laws–loopholes that otherwise would allow polluters to foul the air for centuries to come.
Take Action: Watch our video on the hazy outlook for our parks under current laws, and sign our petition to President Obama and EPA Administrator Gina McCarthy to fix the administration’s clean air regulations and achieve clean air in our lifetime.
Thank you for standing with us to protect the national parks and the clean air we all rely on.
- Breakthrough Product Alert: Air Scrubber Plus Launches Revolutionary Indoor Air Quality System (prweb.com)
- Red Cedar Trees Rebounded After Clean Air Act (livescience.com)
- Red cedar trees rebounded after Clean Air Act (nbcnews.com)
- Shell to pay $1.1 million in fines for Arctic air-quality violations (reuters.com)
- Smart Fog Inc Unveils New Slogan, Clean Humidity Shifting The Entire… (prweb.com)
- Navajo Prez Shelly: Money makes Mother Earth go round (mshebala.wordpress.com)
- Hong Kong looks to zero-emission buses to reduce air pollution (ecoseed.org)
- Air alert: Smoke, ozone on the rise in San Joaquin Valley (fresnobee.com)
- Program provides data to help improve air quality (universityofcalifornia.edu)
- Beijing: Air Quality (clzettl.wordpress.com)
Just when we thought the gun debate couldn’t get any crazier, we get this in from Iowa:
“Iowa is granting permits to acquire or carry guns in public to people who are legally or completely blind…State law does not allow sheriffs to deny an Iowan the right to carry a weapon based on physical ability.”
Now, we could certainly understand permits being issued on a case by case basis. After all, if someone has a disability but can still fulfill the basic safety requirements, then discriminating against them would be unfair.
But it’s completely insane to have a law that prevents sheriffs from even taking someone’s vision into account, given the obvious safety concerns involved. And to be clear, this isn’t about having a gun in one’s home, or one’s property, it’s about the right to carrry it publicly.
Send a message, tell Iowa officials how you feel about this policy, and ask them why they’re doing it.
- Blind people granted gun permits in Iowa (arkansasonline.com)
- Iowa allows blind people to get gun permits (siouxcityjournal.com)
- Iowa law allows gun permits for the blind (cbsnews.com)
- Blind people granted gun permits in Iowa (huffingtonpost.com)
- Iowa grants gun permits to the blind (kstreet607.com)
- Iowa Allows Blind People to Get Gun Permits (kcrg.com)
- Iowa law grants gun permits to the legally blind (theguardian.com)
- Iowa Securing Its Reputation As The Smartest State Ever By Letting Blind People Carry Guns. (cptcruiser.wordpress.com)
- Blind People Are Granted Gun Permits in Iowa – ABC News (abcnews.go.com)
- In Iowa, blind residents can carry firearms in public (salon.com)
After two bizarre Anthony Weiner interviews that I saw (I know he did many more all day but I saw two (2)) yesterday, I must announce that for animal rights, Bill de Blasio is the best candidate for Mayor of New York City, but again, if you saw Lawrence's (O Donnell) show and the Andrea Mitchell show yesterday where I forget her name is subbing in while Andrea was over seas following the Pres.(Anthony) Weiner's Interview's go haywire and For animals, the choice is clear in NYC (Bill de Blasio)!
(Anthony) Weiner’s Interview’s go haywire and For animals, the choice is clear in NYC (Bill de Blasio)!After two bizarre Anthony Weiner interviews that I saw (I know he did many more all day but I saw two (2)) yesterday, I must announce that for animal rights, Bill de Blasio is the best candidate for Mayor of New York City, but again, if you saw Lawrence’s (O Donnell) show and the Andrea Mitchell show yesterday where I forget her name is subbing in while Andrea was over seas following the Pres. All I heard was Wiener discussing things like how the interviewer was playing the ad of another candidate while balking at it because after all, its that ad being played yesterday is the reason for his 7% approval rating leading up to the interview, but anyway, Lawrence did set up last nights interview saying that it was the Tweeters questions that would be asked but I think he (Lawrence) ONLY got off one question…Why or something was it, because after it, off it went….Wiener spent that entire interview defending what he did during the off time including wasting his last 20 seconds of time saying to please leave him ten seconds which in turn wasted the entire end because my DVR stopped after that sentence….and really what Lawrence was trying to do is to ascertain that Weiner is an opportunist…thats what i think or maybe I am projecting what I think to that show….But, it never got that far and Weiner was throwing terms that obviously are internal or known in the DC press and media world because I never heard of the split screen thing he was repeating many times as the blame why as the question was asked minutes ago….regardless of my ignorance which BTW, is how Wiener makes everyone feels after interviewing him or after approaching him on the street or in debates, the fact is that every time you saw Weiner freak out on the floor, it was about someone else’s anger and about someone else’s bill, and in the one famous/infamous rant, it was done minutes after the other person introduced it…(the one where he he said he would not be silenced or something while yelling at the chair head)….it was always about someone else’s issue. The point is that he is always lobbying for something and its been that way throughout his entire one year career….or however many years he was in that seat before this scandal with his tweets broke….which was what? Only a year ago from today? wow..it seems like 3 years to me…the election seems like it was 5 years ago and then I guess Benghazi seems like it was ummm…yesterday…..lets see now…what am i talking about here? Oh…the fact that Weiner never brought any bill to become a law into any situation while he was in office. Yet, he would freak out to get his television time. I think that’s what Lawrence may have been getting at because I think its well known that Weiner is the consummate candidate and that he always seemed to be bucking for something while not only that about him, he always seemed to have one eye looking over whomever’s shoulder at that next job he could potentially get for himself…Even the mayor thing is a reach after he was caught with regard to the time line which btw, he tried to dial back on that Andrea Mitchell show..It did not make sense to me but again, after the time line thing broke and people knew he did it again, was when people realized that he was not normal…..I think that’s what Lawrence was getting at but the interview went so astray that I am not even sure what happened in it….I will maintain that he got testy with the woman in for Andrea during the 1P.M. hour yesterday…you saw him in the bagel place and with that woman while on the campaign…Yesterday though, the woman wanted his opinion about the current topic….ie: the Bloomberg comment about DeBlasio bringing the black family members into the ads issue….and so Weiner snapped saying “you are going to play their ads” while laughing, etc. and cleaning back on his swivel chair out of the center of the camera lens…..which again…lets take his tweets out of the pic…isn’t he dick? doesn’t he act like a dick head to people or is it me that gets defensive or whatever? The way he does not care about what he did while he was in his office….and the way he try’s to lie about it NOT having that affect his daily work with money spent, etc….during it…I dunno….he’s so condescending and it shows so easily….even at the debate..he snapped at something or made some stupid joke continuing to let the world know that he is just NOT self aware at all….that was just so douchey even without “the tweets”…he also looks like a pterodactyl and, I am nauseous because I just remembered the shaved chest shot which i am not sure why that grosses me out but it does….regardless…I must change the subject…..its voting day this tues in NYC….and if you bring this back to real life and about my main need in NYC, for animals….the choice is easy….
The Democratic primary election for New York City mayor is tomorrow, and advocates of animal protection need to know who is standing up for their interests. The Humane Society Legislative Fund is the nation’s leading political advocacy organization for animal welfare, and we want you to know that Bill de Blasio is a friend of animal protection.
We’re encouraging animal advocates to support Bill de Blasio tomorrow for New York City Mayor.
Bill de Blasio has pledged to:
- Replace carriage horses with vintage tourist-friendly vehicles in park.
- Support tougher regulation of law that bans the sale of animals produced in cruel and inhumane puppy mills and bringing more shelter animals into people’s homes.
- Improve animal care at the city’s Animal Care and Control, which has been ineffective in achieving its mission of rescuing, caring for and finding loving homes for the city’s homeless and abandoned animals.
Bill de Blasio is a friend of animals and we encourage you to vote for him tomorrow.
Thanks for all you do for animals.
- NYC’s Mayoral Primary: How to Choose (dashes.com)
- Video: Bill de Blasio Promises Anronite Empowerment (nycelects.com)
- Anthony Weiner: ‘I’m Convinced I’m Going To Be’ NYC Mayor (huffingtonpost.com)
- Shame: Bill De Blasio Promises Satmar That In Exchange For Votes, He Will Repeal Informed Consent For Dangerous Haredi Circumcision Practice (failedmessiah.typepad.com)
- Joe Lhota: Both Michael Bloomberg And Bill De Blasio Wage Class Warfare (huffingtonpost.com)
- De Blasio Has 14-Point Lead Over NYC Mayor Rival in Poll – Bloomberg (bloomberg.com)
- Weiner tries ‘kitchen sink strategy’ ahead of NYC primary (tv.msnbc.com)
- Why Bloomberg snapped: The real reason he must hate de Blasio (salon.com)
- NEW YORK JOKE: BILL de BLASIO IS THE FIRST DEMOCRATIC MAYOR IN NEW YORK IN 20 YEARS? (onecitizenspeaking.com)
- NYC primary race turned into a fascinating, historic adventure (pix11.com)
Add your voice Sign the Petition
BACKGROUND REGARDING OFFENCE:
They pulled over, flashing their lights to warn traffic to stop.
They then saw a man come down the road shouting at the dog, who was by this point cowering and sitting down in the middle of the road.
Upon reaching the dog, the man allegedly pinned the dog by his neck to the road and punched him 3 times in the head.
He also allegedly subsequently proceeded to pick the dog up by the scruff of his neck and fling him over the road into the ditch.
The dog, named “Terry” by the witnesses who stopped their vehicle at the scene, is believed to be a Boston Terrier-French Bulldog cross owned by Brandon Scott Harrison. Harrison has been charged with one count of “causing an animal to continue to be in distress” under the British Columbia Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act. As a result of an alleged altercation at the scene, Harrison has also been charged under the Criminal Code of Canada with uttering threats to cause death or bodily harm, as well as with criminal harassment. Harrison, who is innocent until proven guilty, has pleaded not guilty to the three charges and has a trial date scheduled at the Court House in Duncan, British Columbia, on October 15, 2013.
If convicted of the animal cruelty charge, Harrison faces up to 2 years in jail and a fine of up to $75,000.
LINKS TO NEWS STORIES ABOUT THIS CASE: http://links.causes.com/s/clMdHj?r=2R4zhttp://links.causes.com/s/clMdHq?r=2R4zhttp://links.causes.com/s/clMdHx?r=2R4zhttp://links.causes.com/s/clMdHE?r=2R4zhttp://links.causes.com/s/clMdHN?r=2R4z
- Apparently Advertisers Are Obsessed With Boston Terriers Right Now (businessinsider.com)
- Boston Terrier on a Roomba shows you how to make an entrance (dailydot.com)
- Longboarding fundraiser in another fight for his life (calgaryherald.com)
- Teen on cross-country fundraising trip suffers massive stroke, is fighting for life in Alberta (vancouversun.com)
- Springfield, MO Car Accident Lawyer Terry A. Tolbert Weighs in on Deadly Hit-and-Run Accident (prweb.com)
- Boston Terriers Are the Latest Breed to Get the Star Treatment (adweek.com)
- Mama moose unleashes road rage (newsfixnow.com)
- Osoyoos Man Faces Gun Charges (osoyoosdailynews.com)
- Big Rock Brewery expanding into British Columbia (calgaryherald.com)
- Lost: Boston Terrier near Kinnear Park – FOUND (queenanneview.com)