Updates from October, 2013 Toggle Comment Threads | Keyboard Shortcuts
The Change.org petition states: “Arden says it doesn’t perform animal tests, ‘except in the rare instances in which it’s required by law.’ But Arden sells in China and Brazil, countries that frequently and clearly require animal testing for most cosmetics ingredients. These tests don’t protect humans. In 150 human clinical trials of inflammatory diseases (including asthma, which can be triggered by some fragrances), 100 percent of drugs developed using mice failed.”
Petition signers tell Arden’s CEO: “Please #ComeClean to consumers about Elizabeth Arden’s animal testing by passing the Physicians Committee’s shareholder resolution at your upcoming shareholders meeting. You’ll join the growing number of cosmetics companies that are working to end animal testing internationally and protect public health.”
To sign the petition before the November shareholders meeting, visitArdenComeClean.org.
- NFL: Stop Lethal Animal Testing (sunsetdaily.wordpress.com)
- Chemicals put in rabbits’ eyes (sunsetdaily.wordpress.com)
- Elizabeth Arden response (thegirlwholovescheetahprint.wordpress.com)
- Animal testing “textcloud” (liloar.wordpress.com)
- China changes law on animal testing for cosmetics (english.pravda.ru)
- Urge Iams to Stop Cruel Animal Testing (forcechange.com)
- Let’s get swatchy with Elizabeth Arden’s new limited edition New York in Bloom spring make-up collection (lipglossismylife.com)
- Thursday Treat Giveaway in association with UNTOLD (debenhams.com)
- Tuesday Giveaway in association with Elizabeth Arden (debenhams.com)
- Elizabeth Arden Ceramide Premiere Event (debenhams.com)
The Vending Lot Presents Great New Merchandise from Back To The Future, Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, The Ender's Games and Thor 2: The Dark World….
Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back: Available November 14th!
Thor 2: The Dark World!
There are times when TransCanada‘s lies and empty promises really get to me. In those moments, when the threat seems so much bigger than us, I look out into my backyard.
I know, I know. A barn? Really? But believe me, this is no ordinary barn-raising. This barn was built by a group of volunteers, contractors and donors with a very clear message for TransCanada: Your lies will not move us.
The Build Our Energy Barn is about more than my family and our land. With eight solar panels, a wind turbine and its very own vegetable garden, this barn is about leaving the dirty energy of the past behind, protecting our heritage and embracing our future.
It’s a small step, but it should give us all hope because when we stand in the path together, we can achieve incredible things.
Take another step toward our future. Watch and share this video:
Thanks for standing with me.
- Barn goes up in pipeline’s path (journalstar.com)
- Pipeline Shell (journalstar.com)
- Westerners Vs. Eminent Domain – the Keystone Xl Example (westernsreboot.com)
- Renewable Energy Barn Built in Path of Keystone XL Pipeline (ecowatch.com)
- Keystone XL Foes to Build Barn in Pipeline’s Path (1011now.com)
- TransCanada Keystone XI Pipeline Raises Safety Concerns Which New… (prweb.com)
- No, Seriously: Keystone Pipeline Could be Delayed up to a Year Because of an Endangered Beetle (theblaze.com)
- 13 arrested at TransCanada headquarters (sunsetdaily.wordpress.com)
- Keystone XL foes to build barn in pipeline’s path (journalstar.com)
- TransCanada to Finish Southern Keystone Line by End of Month – Bloomberg (bloomberg.com)
- Everest & Bhutan 2014 Announcement; The Rest of Everest (sunsetdaily.wordpress.com)
- Top marks for Everest: the new A+ ratings (everest.co.uk)
- The rest Of Everest: Turn The Lightbulb, Pet The Dog (sunsetdaily.wordpress.com)
- The Call of Everest (fora.tv)
- Mount Everest has seen it all; what do you remember most about world’s highest peak (oregonlive.com)
- Sherpa Group Accused of ‘Mass Attack’ Against Other Mt. Everest Climbers (theblaze.com)
- David Hempleman-Adams honoured for his adventures (sykose.com)
- Mount Everest comes to Portland in form of Himalayan climber Ed Viesturs (poll) (oregonlive.com)
- Extreme summits and Kendal Mountain Festival weekend (sykose.com)
- 4 injured in chopper crash near Mount Everest (thehindu.com)
I’ll be honest. My first response to the new climate report from the world’s top climate scientists was to climb into bed and pull the covers up over my head. Which I did.
While I was there I thought things over, knowing I would have to get out of bed soon. It was hard to breathe. The certainty in the scientific community made me feel ill: we are on the way to catastrophic warming–and human-made pollution is speeding us there. This is way beyond nature’s eternal cycles of warming and cooling.
Then the good news struck me. This isn’t God, changing our climate. This isn’t nature, cycling through warm and cold. This is us. Forty years ago we didn’t know the damage that carbon and methane pollution could cause. But now we do.
We can stop that pollution.
There is no magic bullet to stop our rapidly changing climate. No one pipeline, no one windmill will do the trick. It will take hard work on many fronts. But there is a path forward to cleaner air and a stable climate.
Here are four actions you can take now to make a difference:
- Cut emissions from fossil fuels: It is fine to talk about banning fossil fuels, but who is willing to give up their computers and lights right now? Wind and solar technologies are not yet able to power all of our lives–but they are ramping up quickly. Until they get there, we must be sure that the oil, gas and coal we are using does the least possible harm. Technology to cut emissions must be used–and utilities must be forced to use it. National emissions controls for coal, oil and gas are a necessity.
Our carbon emissions are falling because we are using more natural gas. But carbon pollution hasn’t fallen enough. And methane emissions are rising. Methane is a powerful greenhouse gas too. We are not off the hook.
- Cut fossil fuel subsidies. Oil and gas giants don’t need millions of dollars in taxpayer support–which they’ve been getting for a century. Time to get rid of those subsidies. They give fossil fuels an unfair advantage in the market place. So does the fact that they are not paying the price for the damage that carbon and methane pollution cause. We are.
You will hear that your bills will go up because of new regulations. These are scare tactics. Want to scare your power providers back? Ask them: Since gas is so much cheaper than coal, and since they are all using so much more gas these days, why haven’t your bills gone way down? Who exactly is keeping those savings?
Be a demanding consumer. Know your power. And use it.
- Ramp up renewable energy research and development as if our lives depended on it. Which they do.
Put pressure on your governor and your utilities to include renewable sources of energy in your power mix.
- Become as efficient as possible with the precious resources we have. Don’t waste energy. Don’t let heat leak out doors and walls and windows. Use efficient appliances.
Buy smart. Live respectfully. Don’t give your hard-earned money to your power companies. Pay lower bills.
No. Actually, this is the goal: be good stewards of our gorgeous Earth; make sure it is livable for our children.
That makes cutting pollution sound kind of easy, doesn’t it?
So let’s all do our parts. It is the only way to be able to get out of bed, and breathe easier. It is the only way to feel hope.
- Our climate needs China and the UN climate talks to deliver – now (eco-business.com)
- More Bad News For Fracking: IPCC Warns Methane Traps Much More Heat Than We Thought (thinkprogress.org)
- Mark Bittman Wrong On Gas: How New York Times Columnist Misunderstands Shale Revolution (theenergycollective.com)
- Fracking may not be as bad for the climate as we thought (washingtonpost.com)
- What Greg Hunt didn’t say about the carbon price and emissions (abc.net.au)
- Why go Green? (intechnology.co.uk)
- Guess What? Humans Actually Helped Curb Methane Gas Increases (theblaze.com)
- Hydraulic Fracturing Sites Can Be Used For Greenhouse Gas Storage (dailyfusion.net)
- ‘The heat is on – we must act’ (theguardian.com)
- If we could see carbon emissions, would we produce less? (blogs.berkeley.edu)
Rangers are often outnumbered and outgunned by ruthless poachers preying on species like rhinos, elephants, tigers and more. For rangers who live—and sometimes die—to protect nature, wildlife crime is a dead serious threat.
WWF needs your help to make a difference. Please view and share this video to spread awareness!
Did you miss the other videos in our “Stop Wildlife Crime” five-part series? See them all here: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0WSjIIFKH_g1qkGzdk4wb-_G0BkvABY-
Rangers are giving their lives to conservation. It’s our turn to give back.
Did you miss the other videos in our “Stop Wildlife Crime” five-part
series? See them all here: http://links.causes.com/s/clMKBA?r=X6RV
Rangers are giving their lives to conservation. It’s our
turn to give back.
- Tigers in wild have dropped from 100,000 to 3,200 in last 100 years. (treehugger.com)
- Stop Wildlife Crime: The Series (sunsetdaily.wordpress.com)
- At CGI, a Commitment to Stop the Bloody Slaughter of African Elephants (science.time.com)
- A postcard from Zambia, Back a Ranger – Stop Wildlife Crime (sunsetdaily.wordpress.com)
- New Al Jazeera series: Rhino rangers stars (spyghana.com)
- Wildlife Rangers Featured In Final Video Of WWF Series ‘Stop Wildlife Crime’ (VIDEO) (huffingtonpost.com)
- Reputable Wildlife Organizations (animals.answers.com)
- Rhino poaching has gone up 5000% since 2007 (treehugger.com)
- Poachers Murder Two Wildlife Rangers in Thailand (news.softpedia.com)
- Rhino poaching hits new record in South Africa (theguardian.com)
Listen To Live Music by Charles Mingus Band, Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, Roger Waters, Meters and Genesis is being played now at Sunset Live 365; The World’s ONLY All Live radio format where every song we play is the live version!
- Charles Mingus – Changes Two vinyl reissue (liveforvinyl.wordpress.com)
- Ahamefule J. Oluo: Mingus Was the Greatest and Richmond Was the Baddest Motherfucker Ever (lineout.thestranger.com)
- Charles Mingus on Grooveshark (grooveshark.com)
- Charles Mingus – Fables of Faubus (adrianlaird.wordpress.com)
- Charles Mingus (semanticu.wordpress.com)
- ‘Pretty Good!’: Have You Seen This Clip of Allen West Singing a Tom Petty Classic? (theblaze.com)
- Charles Mingus – Moanin’ (seriousmoonlighters.wordpress.com)
- Charles Mingus – Goodbye Pork Pie Hat (sandsmith50.wordpress.com)
- Charles Mingus – The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady (jazzbluesreview.com)
- How a jazz artist’s relationship to black identity gave his music its stormy weather (3quarksdaily.com)
Update: Boehner reportedly will now agree to give up his salary during the shutdown. We’re having an impact! Keep up the pressure until all House Republicans agree!
House Republicans have forced a shutdown, and we have multiple actions this week to fight back: Don’t Get Angry, Get Even: Take Back the House from Republican Extremists; Tell House Republicans: If government is shut, why should YOU still get paid?; Tell Boehner: Dump the Tea Party; Tell Democrats: Don’t Cave on Medicare and Social Security;
Take these actions, keep up the pressure, and fight back against right-wing insanity! (note: sending more than one message is fine and still helpful)
EMILY’s List has been helping elect phenomenal progressives (including Elizabeth Warren) for years, and they know what they’re doing.
Send a message, vent appropriately, and then… help EMILY’s List take back the House in 2014!
Boehner & House Republicans have forced a government shutdown by refusing to pass a clean budget resolution. Incredibly, however, they are still getting paid!
House Republicans aren’t doing their jobs as it is. Why should they still get paid if the rest of the government is shut down?
Boehner reportedly might be relenting, in the face of grassroots outrage, and media questioning. So keep up the pressure, send a message, and demand that ALL House Republicans agree to forgo their salaries for the duration of a shutdown, and return any payments made to them.
Since he became speaker, John Boehner has tried and tried again to appease the Tea Party wing of his Republican caucus. He has let this small but loud contingent drive the House agenda, hoping that in return they would come to their senses for the most critical items.
It hasn’t worked. It has been a miserable failure. And now America is paying the price.
Send Boehner a message: Tell him to dump the Tea Party, and work with reasonable Republicans and Democrats to find common ground solutions.
Congress is headed for two major showdowns over federal spending and Republican hostage-takers are once again trying to force weak-kneed Democrats in Congress to agree to cuts in Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security benefits.
Tell Democrats: Don’t let Republican hostage-takers put Medicare and Social Security benefits back on the chopping block.
It’s the third day of the government shutdown, and House Speaker John Boehner is still letting the same group of House Republicans who drove us here run the show.
Today, we’re asking everyone who’s fed up to say “Enough already!” We’re taking to Twitter, and I hope you’ll join in.
Speaker Boehner can end the shutdown right now — tweet at him to make sure he knows we’re going to be holding him accountable for trying to sabotage the economy.
If you’re not on Twitter, it’s easy to start. It’s a place where many members of Congress and their staffers try to drive the narrative of the day — right now, some members of Congress think they can get away with blaming this shutdown on President Obama.
It’s Congress’ job to fund the government. It’s Congress’ job to make sure they pay their bills. Anything less is failure.
What makes this worse is that some of these Republicans are arguing that they’re listening to their constituents — that Americans actually wanted a shutdown.
You and I know that’s not true — it’s time to call them on it.
Tell John Boehner this is economic sabotage, and it’s got to stop now:
Congress: Get Back to Work
While a group of extreme Republicans throw a temper tantrum in DC, Americans who rely on federal programs – like veterans, battered women, and small-business owners – are paying the price.
- Vote Count: John Boehner Could Reopen The Government Immediately (thinkprogress.org)
- Now 18 House Republicans Are Ready to Throw in the Towel in Obamacare Fight – Dems Have the Leverage and Only John Boehner Can Stop Them (theblaze.com)
- John Boehner Warns Republicans Government Shutdown Could Cost Them The House in 2014 (politicususa.com)
- Wingnuts Roasting On An Open Fire (boomantribune.com)
- Boehner to GOP: Grand Bargain in the works (susiemadrak.com)
- Glenn Beck Irate Over Leaked Boehner Office Emails: ‘Defund the GOP’ (theblaze.com)
- The Hostage-Takers and John Boehner (themoderatevoice.com)
- Moderate GOPers Revolting Against Tea Party In Government Shutdown Fight: UPDATED (crooksandliars.com)
- Harry Reid’s Office Leaks Boehner Office Emails – And It Could Ruin Any Faith You Have in Washington (theblaze.com)
- Will Boehner Risk His Job to Avoid Shutdown? (abcnews.go.com)
Has GOP Already Defeated Obamacare? State Opt-Outs Leave Millions of Poor Without Insurance. ”Imperialism & Fundamentalism Have Joined Hands”: Malalai Joya on 12 Years of U.S.-Led Afghan War. ”Dramatic, Painful” Government Shutdown Disproportionately Impacts Working Poor, People of Color.
The federal government shutdown began on Tuesday, the same day that a key facet of President Obama’s healthcare law went live nationwide. For the first time, Americans were able to begin purchasing health insurance from federal and state exchanges. But the New York Times reports the new healthcare law will leave out two-thirds of the nation’s poor blacks and single mothers and more than half of the nation’s low-wage workers who do not have insurance. That’s because they live in 26 states controlled by Republicans that have rejected the vast expansion of Medicaid. The U.S. Supreme Court allowed states to opt out of the expanded Medicaid provision earlier this year. Overall, up to seven million Americans are now ineligible for Medicaid – they make too much to qualify for Medicaid, but not enough to get help to buy a plan on the new healthcare market. We discuss the government shutdown and the launching of health insurance enrollment under the Affordable C…
The partial shutdown of the federal government has entered its third day. More than 800,000 federal workers are furloughed and numerous governmental programs have been forced to stop running. For example, the government shutdown has already caused as many as 19,000 children to lose access to Head Start. Many recipients of Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children, more commonly known as WIC, will lose assistance. As negotiations remain stalled, Imara Jones of Colorlines.com looks at who is being hardest hit by the shutdown. See our recent segment about his case, before he was released, at http://www.democracynow.org/2013/9/30/cancer_stricken_angola_3_prisoner_herman. Democracy Now!, is an independent global news hour that airs weekdays on 1,200+ TV and radio stations Monday through Friday. Watch it live 8-9am ET at http://www.democracynow.org. FOLLOW DEMOCRACY NOW! ONLINE: Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/democracynow T…
Ahead of next week’s 12th anniversary of what has become the longest war in U.S. history, Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel says the United States is seeking to sign an accord to keep U.S. troops in Afghanistan for the indefinite future. The United States plans to pull out the bulk of its 57,000 troops in Afghanistan by the end of 2014, but the Pentagon wants to retain a smaller force of around 10,000 forces after 2014. We are joined by Afghan activist and former member of parliament, Malalai Joya, author of the book, “A Woman Among Warlords: The Extraordinary Story of an Afghan Who Dared to Raise Her Voice.” A survivor of numerous attempts on her life, Time magazine has named her as one of the 100 most influential people in the world. “We need the support of justice-loving people of the U.S. to join their hands with us,” Joya says. “Unfortunately, we see that today imperialism and fundamentalism have joined hands.” Democracy Now!, is an independent global…
Visit http://www.democracynow.org to watch the entire independent, global news hour. This is a summary of news headlines from the United States and around the world as reported by Democracy Now! on Thursday, October 3, 2013. Visit our website to read the complete transcript, search the vast news archive, or to make a donation to support our non-profit news program. FOLLOW DEMOCRACY NOW! ONLINE: Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/democracynow Twitter: @democracynow Subscribe on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/democracynow Listen on SoundCloud: http://www.soundcloud.com/democracynow Daily Email News Digest: http://www.democracynow.org/subscribe Google+: https://plus.google.com/+DemocracyNow Watch it live 8-9am ET via livestream at http://www.democracynow.org. Please consider supporting independent media by making a donation to Democracy Now! today, visit http://www.democracynow.org/donate/YT - Click here to go directly to the channel, and please visit S2e TV to watch at anytime!
- Democracy Now! U.S. and World News Headlines for Thursday, September 5 (sunsetdaily.wordpress.com)
- EXCLUSIVE: Owner of Snowden’s Email Service on Why He Closed Lavabit Rather Than Comply With Gov’t (ramyabdeljabbar.wordpress.com)
- “Imperialism & Fundamentalism Have Joined Hands”: Malalai Joya on 12 Years of U.S.-Led Afghan War (democracynow.org)
- Two Years After Occupy Wall Street, a Network of Offshoots Continue Activism for the 99% (familysurvivalprotocol.com)
- Democratic Afghan Activist Malala Joya: the Power of a Woman’s Voice (leadershipspirit.wordpress.com)
- Egypt challenges Obama’s Arab Spring philosophy (bigstory.ap.org)
- Obama hits GOP ‘ideological crusade’ in shutdown (bigstory.ap.org)
- EXCLUSIVE: Owner of Snowden’s Email Service on Why He Closed Lavabit Rather Than Comply With Gov’t (disclose.tv)
- Noam Chomsky: Instead of “Illegal” Syria Threat, U.S. Should Back Chemical Weapons Ban Worldwide (dandelionsalad.wordpress.com)
- Did an 8-Year-Old Spy for America? U.S. Drone Killed Yemeni Man After Boy Planted Tracking Chip (disclose.tv)
1 15-oz. can black beans
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 1/2 small red onions, chopped
Oil, for frying
4–6 large plantains, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch rounds
1 1/2 tsp. sea salt
2 medium avocados, peeled and pitted
1 tsp. lemon juice
1 small tomato, sliced
Cilantro, for garnish (optional)
Vegan cheese, for garnish (optional)
- Heat the beans in a small frying pan on low heat, stirring every 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and onions and stir for 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer to a serving dish.
- Heat 1/4 inch of oil in a heavy frying pan over medium heat. Working in batches, fry the plantains for 1 1/2 minutes on one side, then flip and cook for 1 minute on the other side. Remove from heat and place on paper towels. Sprinkle lightly with the sea salt.
- Mash the avocados in a small bowl. Add the lemon juice and mix well.
- To serve, top the plantains with the beans, followed by the avocado.
- Garnish with the tomato slices, cilantro, and vegan cheese. Eat and be delighted.
Makes 10 to 12 servings
- RECIPE: Tuscan White Bean Soup (pamsbloggingalong.wordpress.com)
- Supremely Sassy Nachos (blissfulbasil.com)
- Fried Burro Plantains (briancansurvive.wordpress.com)
- Yummy recipe for keeps! (j0annesim.wordpress.com)
- Black Bean Tostadas with Feta and Avocado (stavroulakriki.wordpress.com)
- Creamy Avocado Pasta (ohhsofattening.com)
- Fried Plantain (Patacones) (paleobcn.wordpress.com)
- Fish tacos with tomatillo salsa & avocado coleslaw (elsieskitchen101.wordpress.com)
- Stuffed Plantain Rolls (Stuffed Raw/Unripe Banana Rolls/Kacche Kele ke Rolls) (femmehavenn.wordpress.com)