Tell Congress and tell the Republicans to (lol…I crack myself up as if they would do any work, let alone w/ gun safety) : I Demand an Up-or-Down Vote on Gun Background Checks & Revisiting gun violence legislation
Six weeks after the tragic mass shooting at the Navy Yard, a 12-year old boy shot and killed his math teacher and another student at a Nevada middle school. The teacher had survived tours in Afghanistan as a U.S. Marine, and he was killed while trying to talk the shooter into giving up his weapon.
Last week Gabby and I visited Capitol Hill to meet with lawmakers in an effort to find common ground that might allow us to re-start the conversation.
We talked about our shared commitment to keep our communities safe and told them about the 100,000 people who signed our petition urging them to take action in the wake of Navy Yard. We’ve since printed out and delivered the actual petition with every signature — almost 4,000 pages in total.
I recorded a short video after the visit. I hope you’ll watch and share it with your friends. You can do that here:
The quickening pace of these events can’t be ignored, and it’s time for Congress to take action.
It’s time to step up the pressure again on gun control. And it’s time for Senate Republicans to finally allow an up or down vote on background checks.
A majority of Senators supported expanding background checks for gun purchases, but were blocked because Republicans used the filibuster to block an up-or-down vote.
In fact, a group of NRA-backed Senate Republicans — led by Ted Cruz and Rand Paul – vowed to filibuster every single gun reform proposal. They wouldn’t even allow a vote to take place.
Enough is enough. With tragedy after tragedy continuing to take innocent lives, we don’t have the luxury to give up this fight.
It’s time to step up the pressure again, and to demand that Congress take action on sensible steps supported by an overwhelming majority of Americans.
–> Click here to send a message
Want to see what other actions we have going at Left Action?
–> Click here to “like” the Left Action Facebook page — over 1,000,000 fans strong — for regular updates
–> Click here to check out the Left Action “Action” page
–> Click here to check out more actions from our partner, Care2
Thanks for your support, and for fighting back!
- Obama urges Congress to act in wake of mass shooting (cbsnews.com)
- Martha Burk: Another Month, Another 50 Women Dead (huffingtonpost.com)
- Gun Owners Are Using Instagram To Privately Sell Firearms, Evade Background Checks (thinkprogress.org)
- America it’s time for gun background checks (politicaltrashtalk.com)
- Advocate: Background check might have spared Berks deputy’s life (readingeagle.com)
- Ill. House votes to override changes to gun bill (bigstory.ap.org)
- Senate ready for showdown on Obama pick for ATF (bigstory.ap.org)
- Joe Manchin Ponders Next Steps On Gun Legislation: ‘Why Are We So Tolerant Toward Violence?’ (flhill.wordpress.com)
- Gun Owners Are Using Instagram To Privately Sell Firearms, Evade Background Checks. (sunsetdaily.wordpress.com)
- Short Sharp and Shocked: Intimate Partner Violence (whitewhoppie.wordpress.com)