Updates from December, 2013 Toggle Comment Threads | Keyboard Shortcuts
CLICK TO TAKE ACTION
In recent years we’ve seen explosive growth in wind and solar energy. But now a lifeblood of that growth is under threat.
Like me, you’ve probably noticed solar panels appearing on more and more roofs. Growth in both solar and wind energy has been so dramatic that, in 2012, more than 12 percent of the energy used in the U.S. came from renewable sources.
This growth would never have happened without federal tax credits. Tax credits for solar give individuals and business incentives to install solar panels. The Production Tax Credit for wind gives investors an incentive to install wind turbines. These credits have helped wind and solar energy become mainstream technologies that create jobs and move us closer to a clean energy economy.
But unless Congress acts to extend it, the Production Tax Credit will expire on December 31. Tell your senators you are counting on them to support renewable energy tax credits.
Our climate situation is dire, and we are running out of time to make the switch to renewable, carbon-free energy. This tax credit is critical to speeding up the transition. Losing it would be crippling to this vital industry and will jeopardize our attempts to avoid climate disaster.
- For Our Children–and the Economy–Congress Must Act Now to Continue Tax Incentives for Renewable Energy (switchboard.nrdc.org)
- EU wants to reboot data centres with renewable energy (energylivenews.com)
- Why Solar is Beating Wind (solarfeeds.com)
- Why Congress needs to extend the wind energy tax credit (grist.org)
- Why Congress Needs to Extend the Wind Energy Tax Credit (climatedesk.org)
- USA Move to Penalize Free/Renewable Energy Freeriders (revolution-green.com)
- Environment Iowa study underscores wind energy’s benefits (thegazette.com)
- Dispatch from SA: Wind provides 41% demand in the third quarter (yes2renewables.org)
- Understanding The Facts Of The Renewable Energy PTC (cleantechnica.com)
- Why Congress needs to extend the wind energy tax credit (beyondfrequency.com)
The Maryland football team will make its first bowl appearance since 2010 and its first under head coach Randy Edsall on Friday, Dec. 27 at 2:30 PM when the Terps take on Marshall in the Military Bowl presented by Northrop Grumman in Annapolis, Md. Order tickets through the University of Maryland ticket office by calling 1-800-IM-A-TERP or visiting umterps.com/bowlcentral. Click here to go directly to the channel, and please visit S2e TV to watch at anytime!
- Maryland and Marshall to play in Military Bowl at Naval Academy (stripes.com)
- Maryland Football: Bowl Bound (sunsetdaily.wordpress.com)
- Maryland plays Marshall in Military Bowl (nbcsports.com)
- Maryland football players will receive PlayStation 4, Ogio backpack as part of Military Bowl (bizjournals.com)
- Terps to meet Marshall in Military Bowl (baltimorenewsjournal.com)
- Military Bowl 2013: Maryland Plays Marshall at Naval Academy (theepochtimes.com)
- Military Bowl 2013: Maryland to play Marshall in Annapolis (wjla.com)
- Marshall Vs Maryland* In The Military Bowl (eyeonannapolis.net)
- Maryland plays Marshall in Military Bowl (myrtlebeachonline.com)
- Maryland plays Marshall in Military Bowl (mysanantonio.com)
Join Kevin as he chats with comedian turned writer/director, Bobcat Goldthwait, (World’s Greatest Dad, God Bless America) about parlaying his stand-up career into creating independent films. Bobcat discusses his fascination with the legend of Bigfoot, assaulting Super Dave Osborne‘s stunt dummy, and how to get cut-aways during the Oscars.
Kevin Pollak’s Chat Show is a live streaming, video talk show seen every Sunday, 3PM PST on kevinpollakschatshow.com. An award-winning actor, Pollak (The Usual Suspects, Casino, A Few Good Men) was also named by Comedy Central as One of the Top 100 Comedians of All Time. Here, he interviews celebrated actors, writers, directors, comedians, and masters of the tech universe. New episodes drop every other week on Thursdays. Click here to go directly to the channel, and please visit S2e TV to watch at anytime!
- James Leighton is on Kevin Pollak’s Chat Show today! (sunsetdaily.wordpress.com)
- James Leighton on Kevin Pollak’s Chat Show (sunsetdaily.wordpress.com)
- Kevin Pollak’s Chat Show! (sunsetdaily.wordpress.com)
- Catch Jim Rash on this week’s (Kevin Pollak) Chat Show! (sunsetdaily.wordpress.com)
- Event preview: Versatile Kevin Pollak gets into characters (wvgazette.com)
- Podcasts: Why they’re freaking awesome (martpoomland.wordpress.com)
- EVENT PREVIEW ; Versatile Kevin Pollak gets into characters [Charleston Gazette, The (WV)] (hispanicbusiness.com)
- Dolphins bullying like ‘A Few Good Men’: star (nypost.com)
- Skills Matter : Clojure eXchange 2013: David Pollak on Some (skillsmatter.com)
- Plans Are Reportedly In The Works For A Reboot Of ‘Full House’ (pinkisthenewblog.com)
Now Playing is The Allman Brothers Band at Radio Sunset and The Polyphonic Spree, The Rolling Stones, Queen and Norman A. Norman were just played on Radio Mondays!
- Ian Stuart Bride – Killer Queen (wayoutwedding.com)
- Happy Birthday Gregg | Allman Brothers On Saturday Night Live (jambase.com)
- Freddy is Queen Of Queens (christinereynoldsintra.wordpress.com)
- Elizabeth Reed- The Allman Brothers Band- Immortalized Under Pale Moonlight (uofmusic.com)
- Gregg Allman, Gov’t Mule And Devon Allman To Play Bluesfest Sideshows (noise11.com)
- The Rumor Mill…WHOOPS…I spun it (ryanharmonmusic.wordpress.com)
- Warren Haynes Talks Symphonies And The Spirit Of The Music [Watch] (wxrt.cbslocal.com)
- 131209 Super Junior Kim Heechul Turns Into ‘Heirs’ Yoo Ra Hel “It’s Tan’s Fiance!” (sup3rjunior.com)
- Whipping Post- The Allman Brothers Band- Happy Birthday Greg Allman (uofmusic.com)
- Artist Countdown: Allman Brothers Band Top 25 – 6pm ET @allmanbrothers (radiomaxmusic2.wordpress.com)
“I view one of the big myths of the [2007-08 financial] crisis as that it was purely the effect of free markets, that this is what happens when you have free markets,” says Jim Bruce, filmmaker behind the new documentary “Money for Nothing: Inside the Federal Reserve.” Bruce predicted the meltdown, invested accordingly, and used the money he made from the collapse to fund his movie, which features interviews with economists who predicted the crisis, as well as former and current Federal Reserve officials such as Paul Volcker and future Fed Chair Janet Yellen. Bruce sat down with Reason TV‘s Zach Weissmueller to discuss the film and his thoughts on current Fed policy, incoming Fed Chair Janet Yellen, the legacy of alleged free marketeer Alan Greenspan, and the future of the U.S. economy and monetary system. Approximately 9 minutes. Shot by Tracy Oppenheimer, Alex Manning, and Alexis Garcia. Edited by Zach Weissmueller. Click here to go directly to the channel, and please visit S2e TV to watch at anytime!
- Vid: Federal Reserve, Not Free Market, Caused Crisis says “Money for Nothing” Filmmaker Jim Bruce (reason.com)
- Federal Reserve, Not Free Market, Caused Crisis says “Money for Nothing” Filmmaker Jim Bruce (libertycrier.com)
- Jim Bruce ~ The FED Caused The Crisis Not The Free Market (financearmageddon.blogspot.com)
- Federal Reserve, Not Free Market, Caused Crisis says “Money for Nothing” (nalert.blogspot.com)
- 10 Ways Bitcoin Is Better Than The Federal Reserve (activistposter.wordpress.com)
- 10 Ways Bitcoin Is Better Than The Federal Reserve (truthfrequencyradio.com)
- 10 Ways Bitcoin Is Better Than The Federal Reserve System (activistpost.com)
- The Federal Reserve (mwr80.wordpress.com)
- Amend the US Federal Reserve (rinf.com)
South Africa has begun a week of remembrance for Nelson Mandela, who died last week at the age of 95. International leaders, global figures and celebrities will join 95,000 ordinary South Africans for a memorial service at FNB stadium in Soweto, where Mandela made his final major public appearance during the 2010 soccer World Cup. President Obama is among 60 heads of state planning to attend. On Sunday, South Africans held a day of prayer for Mandela in congregations across the country. The commemorations will end with Mandela’s burial Sunday in his home village of Qunu. We look back on Mandela’s life with Rev. Jesse Jackson, the civil rights leader who was at the head of the American anti-apartheid solidarity movement, and was among the first to greet Mandela when he was freed from prison. Watch full coverage of the life and legacy of Nelson Mandela on Democracy Now! at http://www.democracynow.org/topics/nelson_mandela.
Investigative journalist Seymour Hersh joins us to discuss his new article casting doubt on the veracity of the Obama administration’s claims that only the Assad regime could have carried out the chemical attacks in the Damascus suburb of Ghouta earlier this year. Writing in the London Review of Books, Hersh argues that the Obama administration “cherry-picked intelligence to justify a strike against Assad.” The administration failed to disclose it knew Syrian rebels in the al-Nusra front had the ability to produce chemical weapons. Evidence obtained in the days after the attack was also allegedly distorted to make it appear it was gathered in real time.
- Should Catholics Praise Nelson Mandela? (catholictruthblog.com)
- Tribute to Nelson Mandela, Freedom Fighter (derbypa.wordpress.com)
- Democracy Now! U.S. and World News Headlines for Friday, December 6 (sunsetdaily.wordpress.com)
- R.I.P.: Nelson Mandela (marciokenobi.wordpress.com)
- Radio One Founder Issues Statement On Nelson Mandela’s Passing (imarashed.com)
- South Carolina sheriff refuses to lower U.S. flag for Nelson Mandela (rollingout.com)
- Nelson Mandela: Six Months Worth of Mandela News (stephendarorionverygreatpeople.wordpress.com)
- Rev. Jesse Jackson on the Life of Nelson Mandela & the Movement that Backed His Anti-Apartheid Fight (democracynow.org)
- South Africa mourns and prepares for Tuesday’s tribute to Nelson Mandela (theglobeandmail.com)
- South African Police Prepare for Mandela Ceremony – ABC News (abcnews.go.com)
Background checks, a ban on high-capacity magazines and a dedicated law to combat illegal gun trafficking…
We can’t, we won’t give up.
Simple, commonsense solutions like background checks, a ban on high-capacity magazines and a dedicated law to combat illegal gun trafficking would help to prevent senseless tragedies; and the vast majority of Americans support these meaningful reforms to save lives.
For far too long, obstructionists in Congress and the Senate have prevented us from taking steps forward on this critical issue. As you know, the gridlock in Washington runs deep — so much so, that we have been prevented from even getting a simple up or down vote in the House on a bill to require universal background checks.
But, we can’t simply give up. This issue is too important.
It’s time for Congress to take action. That’s why I’m standing with colleagues across the country who are committed to putting an end to gun violence. If you stand with me, if you stand with the overwhelming majority of Americans who support commonsense reform, please add your name:
Together we can make our voices heard. It’s time for Congress to act.
Thanks for standing with me,
- White House Announces 23 New Gun Control Executive Actions To Reduce Violence (americanlivewire.com)
- Gun-control ad debuts ahead of Newtown anniversary (truthfrequencyradio.com)
- Moms Mark Anniversary of Sandy Hook Elementary Tragedy With Nationwide “No More Silence” Events (theobamacrat.com)
- Moms Demand ‘No More Silence’ Ahead Of Newtown Anniversary (theobamacrat.com)
- Obama’s Organizing for Action: Hey, Let’s Throw Newtown Anniversary Events to Push Gun Control (townhall.com)
- A Legacy of Courage (huffingtonpost.com)
- Newtown activists want ‘No More Silence’ (msnbc.com)
- Biden Hails the 23 Gun Control Steps Obama Took on His Own (cnsnews.com)
- Joe Biden on “Progress” of 23 Actions against the 2nd Amendment (lunaticoutpost.com)
- Giffords, Kelly group launches veterans initiative for gun control (politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com)